Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

cat biscuits - should I just let him get on with it?

(11 Posts)
Naetha Fri 15-Aug-08 17:05:52

DS 7 months seems to have developed a real taste for cat biscuits. The problem is, there's few places I can put them that he can't get that the cats can.

Every time I put him down he makes a beeline for them (even if they're out of sight) and immediately starts chomping on them. I don't mind him tasting one or two, but something is telling me I shouldn't let him be eating huge handfulls!

Any tips?

Seuss Fri 15-Aug-08 17:09:15

grin have they given him shiny hair?

bethoo Fri 15-Aug-08 17:13:51

i sympathise as i caught 17 month ds munching on them too!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 15-Aug-08 17:20:25

the first thing my dd2 does when she gets to my nans is crawl out to the cats dish to eat the cat food. im sure my nan thinks i starve her.

MaureenMLove Fri 15-Aug-08 17:22:53

My nan ate a whole bowl full of them once, with milk on and then complained to my mum that she thought the cereal was stale.hmm

It can't be good for him. Does the cat have to have buscuits as part of his diet? Could you cut them out of his diet for a couple of months, whilst DS gets over his adiction? Shame for the cat, but needs must!grin

wotulookinat Fri 15-Aug-08 17:39:10

My ds ate a load of dog biscuits once and he was fine. They were yucky cheap ones, though. The dog wouldn't touch them. He'll probably grow out of it.

ellideb Fri 15-Aug-08 17:44:07

I used to eat them when I was a child, no problems here! <pads off to groom tail and play with toy mouse>

Hadeda Fri 15-Aug-08 19:26:36

My DD is 7 months too and has the same fascination! The packet is in a cupboard she can't open (yet...?!) but their bowl is her favourite. I pick it up to stop her eating it but then forget when I leave the kitchen and the cats are confused as they've never been allowed on the counter tops and now can't find their food!

We have a narrow entrance to the kitchen (open plan dining room/kitchen) and we're going to put a stairgate across that tomorrow. TBH I don't want her in the kitchen generally - too much risky stuff when I'm cooking. Could you put a gate across your kitchen door perhaps?

lizinthesticks Fri 15-Aug-08 20:09:10

"grin have they given him shiny hair?"

lmao!

jellibob Fri 15-Aug-08 23:45:47

Could be worse - my colleague's wife was in their kitchen & wondered what their toddler was eating; it turned out to be part of a mouse that their cat had brought in. They never established how much he'd actually consumed...

CaptainFabioHiltsTheCoolerCat Fri 15-Aug-08 23:47:08

OI

Think of your poor starving cat, please. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: