Talk

Advanced search

first trip to the dentist

(7 Posts)
sannie Thu 14-Aug-08 20:05:56

was just wondering when I should take ds1 (2.4) to the dentist.....

although, I am very nervous about this - he refuses point blank to let the hairdresser anywhere near his head so I guess the dentist will be a little tricky hmm

simpson Thu 14-Aug-08 20:42:21

I think my Ds had his first appointment around this time. Dentists are very good with little children and tend to have stickers etc and talk to them lots beforehand, let them go on chair moving up & down etc.

I also bought Topsy & Tim go to the dentist to read before we went. Think there is a Dora book on it as well if your Ds is a big fan smile

Also when telling Ds what would happen at the dentist i kept things simple and said the dentist wants to count his teeth rather than anything more complicated ie fillings/cleaning etc. We pretend played it too grin getting him to open his mouth really wide etc.

Hope all this helps!!

sannie Thu 14-Aug-08 21:01:55

thanks...liking the book suggestion (we have a potty book which has been a big hit...)

PinkPussyCat Thu 14-Aug-08 21:10:59

DS has just attended his first dental appointment aged 1!

All the dentist had to do was have a peek with the little mirror thingy and he opened his mouth expecting a spoonful of something yummy! They noted which teeth were present and that was it. It was just to get him registered really.... AFAIK they are, on the whole, excellent with putting children at ease etc.
Agree the book sounds like a good idea!

squeaver Thu 14-Aug-08 21:13:05

DD went a couple of months ago when she was 3.4 - bit late really.

Doe your ds like Peppa Pig? there's a good episode on one of the DVDs where Peppa goes to the dentist. That made dd really want to go.

Aarrgghh Thu 14-Aug-08 21:15:24

We went at 2.7 - all they did was count his teeth. He didn't want to sit on the chair so i had to tickle him on my lap - kind of upside down - and she peered in.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 15-Aug-08 10:04:31

I take DS with me so he sees me go first and he has always been fine - think he went from about 9 months as our dentist likes to get the little ones used to it very early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now