Talk

Advanced search

So I went to a friend's house for lunch yesterday....

(83 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 14-Feb-05 21:09:33

.....and she opened a bottle of champagne. She poured a glass for everyone, including a mini glass for her 4 year old dd. She asked me if my dd (same age), would like one, and I politely refused. Must admit I was a bit taken aback. What do you lot think?

HappyMumof2 Mon 14-Feb-05 21:13:06

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 14-Feb-05 21:13:23

DD is nearly 2 and had a sip of champagne on my birthday, and at Christmas. It was only a sip though as she really doesn't like it - but wanted to be included. I don't think I would give her her own glass though have to say.

DD's first taste of chamagne was actually in France, when visiting a cave - can't remember which one. She was 18 months old and it was the man taking the tour round, at the end, who handed her a small glass. Hmmm!He told us that in the area, it is quuite common for children, evenv very young ones, are given tastes of the stuff.

HappyMumof2 Mon 14-Feb-05 21:13:34

Message withdrawn

Angeliz Mon 14-Feb-05 21:13:43

I'd be the same as you.
Just don't see the point!! (When i'm sure the child would be happier with a glass of juice anyway!)

Hulababy Mon 14-Feb-05 21:13:44

Ooops - DD is nearly 3, not 2!

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Mon 14-Feb-05 21:14:12

Very strange behaviour. Fine if it was for an occasion but I would never encourage a 4 year old to drink alcohol whatever the occasion was.
I am sure that 1 glass of champagne (however small) would seriously effect a child so small.

Angeliz Mon 14-Feb-05 21:14:43

OOOPS, youy all beat me, you lot are fast!!!

Hope i haven't offended anyone!

snafu Mon 14-Feb-05 21:15:01

A sip from your own glass is fair enough, but I don't think I'd give a 4-year-old a glass of champagne, even a 'mini' one.

lockets Mon 14-Feb-05 21:16:20

Message withdrawn

snafu Mon 14-Feb-05 21:16:38

LOL lockets - priorities!

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Mon 14-Feb-05 21:17:44

To me it's almost the same as offering a child a puff of a cigarette (another pet hate of mine!)

lockets Mon 14-Feb-05 21:18:43

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 14-Feb-05 21:19:32

OMG blossomhill - people don't do that do they? [shhock] But smoking can kill! That should be a definite crime.

sparklymieow Mon 14-Feb-05 21:19:58

Ds likes beer and has a small amount when we are on holiday from daddy's beer he is 7 though, wouldn't let my 4 or 3 yr old try it....

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Mon 14-Feb-05 21:20:32

I was speaking hypothetically but I am sure there are people that do though.

CarrieG Mon 14-Feb-05 21:21:45

I find it really hard to believe anyone would offer a 4 year old a drag on their cig!

Dh quite often offers ds a 'fingerful' of beer froth to lick, which ds, being a chip off the old block (both old blocks, actually) loves. Don't think he'll be getting his own glass till he's a BIT nearer standing his round tho'!

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Mon 14-Feb-05 21:21:53

The pet hate is smoking. Have to admit I did smoke in my teens but gave up at 21 as I started to cough up blood. That's why I am anti-smoking as I know how damaging it can be!

Dior Mon 14-Feb-05 21:21:53

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 14-Feb-05 21:21:53

I think its wrong and unnecessary ... a sip maybe once in a blue moon is different ..

I have known people who pour their children lemonade and call it beer or wine and that always made me wonder what they thought they were doing

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Mon 14-Feb-05 21:23:58

Just makes me cringe when I think of the story that MIL told me. She was in Asda and there were some parents (they were very young) letting there toddler sip from a can of beer. then encouraging the toddler to swear, you know "What are you?"..... Toddler replies "I am a little F'er". Roars of laughter, sorry not funny in my opinion.

sweetkitty Mon 14-Feb-05 21:24:17

I remember my mums friend when I was bout 15 or 16 babysitting her neice and alloweing her to puff on her ciggie honestly. Even then I thought it was disgusting.

I think I would let DD have a sip or champagne or put a few drops in some lemonade so she would feel included.

snafu Mon 14-Feb-05 21:25:38

Oh, charming. Hopefully parents like that are very few and far between. I'm not sure you can equate giving a small child a sip of champagne to letting them puff on a cigarette, though.

Dior Mon 14-Feb-05 21:27:18

Message withdrawn

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Mon 14-Feb-05 21:28:04

I think it's down to the individual but alcohol isn't legal in this country until 18 years old for a good reason so giving it 14 years before is out of order I think.
Didn't stop me getting drunk on Thunderbirds when I was 15 though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now