Talk

Advanced search

toddler tantrums: I know you're supposed to ignore them, but

(7 Posts)
phdlife Wed 13-Aug-08 22:02:27

Ds (16m) has just started to have little tantrums - throwing whatever he's holding on the floor, then kneeling, putting his hands down, and whacking his head on the carpet. Gently, and then he looks up to see if I'm taking proper notice.

Is it very evil of me to laugh?

I mean, I don't let him see that I am...

Seuss Wed 13-Aug-08 22:06:14

grin I find it v. amusing when dd stomps her foot and says 'I am not grumpy!'

rookiemater Wed 13-Aug-08 22:07:11

Oh I know they are funny. DS had his first tantrum when he was about 14mths, and threw himself down on the floor, beating the carpet with his fists.

The first time DH and I just burst out laughing, he was so funny and where do they learn this from ? He has kind of stopped doing the full burst ones now (aged 2.5) but when he did DH tended to leave the room and I would just laugh. Bless them, they are so cute sometimes.

I think the big thing is to not give him too much attention, just let him wear himself out or try to distract him.

Seuss Wed 13-Aug-08 22:10:51

Where do they get the fist-banging, foot stomping stuff? I'm pretty sure I've never led down and whacked my head on the floor in front of them? I don't think they do it on cbeebies either? It's a mystery.

I'm all for letting them wear themselves out - don't show fear - never show fear!

phdlife Wed 13-Aug-08 22:10:57

I usually let him 'finish', then give him a cuddle.

But tonight he threw one tantrum because I shut a drawer (not that he could reach it anyway) and then, 5 seconds later, another because he couldn't push his blocks under the couch.

But tired and ready for bed? Nosiree, not him, nuh-uh! hmm

Seuss Wed 13-Aug-08 22:41:09

Ah...the twighlight screaming..

KTNoo Wed 13-Aug-08 23:54:13

My ds used to throw himself backwards onto the floor, but first doing a quick glance behind him to check there was nothing nasty to land on!wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now