Talk

Advanced search

I did The Mummy Voice...... ...... <whispers> and it worked!!

(15 Posts)
broccolispears Tue 12-Aug-08 09:20:50

At 3.00 this morning, after an hour of faffing from dd...
- I just need my water
- I need a different pyjama top
- Where's Rupert Bear?
- I want to sleep in your bed
- I want to sleep in my own bed
- I don't want daddy to tuck me in
- I'm just going to 'be kind' to my little brother...

I felt the ancient power of all parents past and future well up within me. In a voice that wasn't my own, not shouting, just calm and firm I said "DD, you get into bed and you stay in bed and I don't want to hear another thing until morning. Goodnight"

There was silence. The night held it's breath.

Dd wriggled, "I'm just going to turn your light on mummy..."

"I said good night".

And it worked! She settled down and slept until morning. I've never been obeyed just because of my tone of voice before! I woke up this morning thrilled with myself!

When she started dunking her milk in the nappy water after breakfast I did it again, "Dd, milk does not go in the nappy water. Don't do that please", and it worked again!!!! Dp says I'm getting quite giddy with power.

SlartyBartFast Tue 12-Aug-08 09:26:48

grin and how do you feel now -
and can you keep it up?

Flamesparrow Tue 12-Aug-08 09:27:51

I did the mummy voice the other day.

But via facebook. To an ex boyfriend.

He sniggered, pointed out that I had managed to type in a mummy voice.... but stopped what he was doing wink

broccolispears Tue 12-Aug-08 09:30:37

Ooh, typing in mummy voice? I'm definitely not that advanced yet.

Flamesparrow Tue 12-Aug-08 09:31:34

I'm trying to scroll back through the email to see what i said grin

Flamesparrow Tue 12-Aug-08 09:33:41

That was it... Don't you dare grr at me!

blushgrin

SlartyBartFast Tue 12-Aug-08 09:33:53

glad he is an ex boyfriend - with that accusation shock

SlartyBartFast Tue 12-Aug-08 09:34:26

cross posts.

oh now i see blush

SlartyBartFast Tue 12-Aug-08 09:34:40

how very dare he

ajm200 Tue 12-Aug-08 09:35:13

The mummy voice is cool, isn't it?

My hubby is in awe of it. He can try everything to make our son behave and gets very frustrated. A few words in the mummy voice and peace reigns

cupcake78 Tue 12-Aug-08 12:18:55

Please tell me how to do this!

SoupDragon Tue 12-Aug-08 12:20:52

BabyDragon just stares at me in a "When is she going to stop that so I can get on with what I'm doing?" kind of way. Then she carries on.

phdlife Tue 12-Aug-08 12:23:48

yes gcse just gets a kind of "huh, interesting..." look on his head, doesn't even break stride.

clearly I need more practice!

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 12-Aug-08 12:26:37

I Mummy Voiced a silly 18 year old boy once, throwing empty beer cans around. He stopped what he was doing immediately, then started to smirk "You can't tell everyone what to do, just because you're a mother. You're not my mother" ..... which completely belied the fact that he had stopped, and had picked them all up! grin

phdlife Tue 12-Aug-08 12:29:57

lol, that reminds me my dsis mummy-voiced a delusional patient once - he was in his 50s but suffering bad dt's and she told him to get in his bed and stay there or she'd tell his father when he came home. patient stayed in bed all night and all next day.

best part was, my sis was only 18 and didn't become a mum for several more years, heh heh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now