Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about an only child board?

(17 Posts)
Shoegazer Sun 10-Aug-08 21:23:06

There is one for larger families, and I think it would be nice to have a section of our own too, what do you think?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shoegazer Sun 10-Aug-08 21:24:40

Why?

Bowddee Sun 10-Aug-08 21:25:25

I think it's a good idea. Somewhere to have a moan without someone going on about how we have no right to have problems 'because you've only got one'.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 10-Aug-08 21:28:27

lol -I read it as "Only Child On Board" as in those things people put in the back windows of cars.

I clicked on the thread wondering why it was important to point out to everyone passing that you only had one child blush smile

Shoegazer Sun 10-Aug-08 21:30:06

I do see your point MMJ, but I think that you are seeing it as being about the number of children, rather than children with or children without siblings.

juneybean Sun 10-Aug-08 21:31:54

I can see your point shoegazer because there's also that element of "spoilt child syndrome" as well and how to avoid it lol

Overmydeadbody Sun 10-Aug-08 21:32:03

oh no, it really is't necessary.

Seriously, how much do you think there can possibly be to discuss about only children?

MN is over-run with different topics already, it's getting quite frankly ridiculous. I prefered how it used to be in the good old days.

Shoegazer Sun 10-Aug-08 21:32:15

Lol ND, now that would be taking preciousness to the extreme. Not only do I have a child on board, but they are an only child, so you must therefore be much more careful. grin

Overmydeadbody Sun 10-Aug-08 21:32:45

how much navel-gazing do we need?hmm

twinsetandpearls Sun 10-Aug-08 21:32:45

I have been asking for advice for something today that I thought was a problem exclusive to only children families. But I had advice and was able to share with and learn from people from larger families. If I had posted under an only child topic I would have missed out.

Overmydeadbody Sun 10-Aug-08 21:33:59

exactly twinset, no problems are ever going to be exclusive to parents of onlies, it would be pointless to categorise us all up into self-contained sections.

Blandmum Sun 10-Aug-08 21:35:11

and then a board for those with only boys, and a board for only girls, and a board for those who have both.

and then we could break it up on the age gaps. We could end up with loads of new boards that wouldn't add much to mn as a whhole

choosyfloosy Sun 10-Aug-08 21:37:50

No I don't - I feel separate enough from the multiparous without this, TBH. This way I can persuade myself I'm not so different as all that.

Shoegazer Sun 10-Aug-08 21:39:43

Ok, I understand all your comments. I disagree with the point that there are no problems exclusive to parents of onlies, but I agree with the problem of compartmentalising everyone.

Hulababy Sun 10-Aug-08 21:39:48

No, despite having an only child I don't want a special board for it. I don't think I parent DD that much ifferently, nor do I think her personaility and behaviours, are specific or differnt because of her being an only child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now