Talk

Advanced search

So how do I get my ds 3.4 to go thourgh night dry?

(12 Posts)
SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 21:29:44

I thought this could not be trained but I was wondering if I am wrong

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 21:37:48

please??

thisisyesterday Sat 09-Aug-08 21:39:47

you are right, it can't be trained. some children just don't do it that early (in fact, it's quite common)
some people lift their kids to try and stop them wetting at night, but it won't train them to stop so you're just as well leaving them in nappies IMO

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 21:42:41

phew - that's what I thought
Thanks babe

So how come allllll of my friends' children seem to go through the night hmm

thisisyesterday Sat 09-Aug-08 21:48:54

some just do. I think it's a chemical thing in the brain iirc. if they aren't getting the signal that they need to go, then they won't wake up to do it.

I am sure you can find plenty of MN'ers with kids that age, and older, who still aren't dry at night.

I believe that GP's only consider it a problem once children are about 7, so obviously still pretty common before that age

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 21:53:01

thank you for answering tiy. I owe you one

smile

funnypeculiar Sat 09-Aug-08 21:57:20

Agree with tiy - if you search back threads you'll find lots about night training - there wasa fab one recently with lots of comments from a nurse at a child's clinic.

Fwiw, my 4.5 yo ds is still in nappies and wets every night if not in them - has been dry in day for over 2 years. My 2.5 yo dd has just day trained (3 weeks), and has been out of nappies for a week. Many of ds's male mates are also still in nappies - although relatively few of the girls are...

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 21:58:33

fp - thanks. smile
mn totally rocks for reassurance like this

divastrop Sat 09-Aug-08 22:04:14

the nurse at the bed wetting clinic told me that we produce a hormone that stops us producing urine when we are asleep,but that some children just dont produce it and that is one of the reasons for bedwetting.

my 2 ds's were both in night nappies untill about 4.6.ds1 just stopped weeing in the night suddenly;with ds2 i put pants on under his pull-ups so he would wake if he weed and he was dry after 3 nights.

dd1 is 9.6 and has only just become dry with the help of medication.

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 22:05:33

thanks ds - glad to hear dd is now dry - that must be a relief for you (and stop lots of work too)smile

DRAGON30 Sat 09-Aug-08 22:13:43

This may sound daft,- but have you put a potty in the room? We were waiting for ages for DD1 to have a few dry nappies, (she was over 4), but she never did. She was very easy to potty-train, (2.2yrs), and soon preferred to use the toilet, so we were waiting for her to get up at night, - she never did!
To be quite honest, we weren't really pushing it, as we had a new baby, DH was working v.long hours, and we didn't really fancy the idea of her stumbling about in the bathroom directly behind our bed!
I finally decided to tackle it, and put a potty in DD's room, and said how great it would be to not wear a nappy etc. It took TWO nights! I think we could have done it much earlier, if we had been less dim, and encouraged her more blush.
By the way, don't feel too intimidated by all the parents with 'dry' children. I know of several who take their children to the toilet 2 or more times a night. They're not dry, it's just timing, thats all. Good luck, smile

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 22:16:03

thanks dragon - he has a potty in his room but he does not wake up. Just wets the bed ans sleeps through it!
I think I will leave it for a while and then try later on
The timing doesn't quite feel right anyway now I've read all your responses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now