Talk

Advanced search

genetic throwbacks? we are white and ive just had a mixed race baby, know anything about this?

(97 Posts)
knowaboutthis Sat 09-Aug-08 21:04:49

does anyone have any experience of genetic throw backs?

knowaboutthis Sat 09-Aug-08 21:09:24

or even know anything about them or anygood websites?

alvinandthechipmunks Sat 09-Aug-08 21:14:37

No but try the multicultural thread - even though you aren't?
I'd look on google if you haven't (I'm sure you have already) as this sounds rare.
How do you feel about it.
What is does your dc look like e.g. colouring?

B1977 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:16:27

Simon Rattle, the conductor, has sort of Afro hair from a throwback a couple of generations back, he never understood it until "Who do you think you are?" or whatever TV show it was did the research for him as his family didn't know that history.

I think it can happen, the thing is it might be quite difficult to find out the genetic history if noone in either family knows any non-white history, as it were.

Anyway new babies often look a bit odd, how can you really tell what your baby will look like.

It doesn't matter anyway unless you are in some sort of Jerry Springer situation where accusations of infidelity start flying around, and I hope that is not the case!

B1977 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:17:22

and on the other side I know a lot of Caribbean blokes with ginger beards

knowaboutthis Sat 09-Aug-08 21:18:04

well she looks half black, afro type black hair.
shes 2 weeks old.

me and dh are both white with mid brown straight hair.

MsDemeanor Sat 09-Aug-08 21:18:16

How do you know your baby is mixed race? Even children who are quite dark skinned later on tend to be white/pink skinned at birth.

knowaboutthis Sat 09-Aug-08 21:19:39

im still in shock but, dd only came along 2 weeks ago.
we are both in shock tbh.

knowaboutthis Sat 09-Aug-08 21:21:48

well shes quite black, has afro hair and her nose is typical of a black person.

we only know our family history back to grandparents. all white.

MsDemeanor Sat 09-Aug-08 21:24:34

how much afro hair can a two week old baby have? All babies have squashed noses.

wheresthehamster Sat 09-Aug-08 21:24:42

I was at primary school with a boy whose colouring was dark brown with black hair. His parents were white South Africans. Their second child was white and the third was black.

Can't help though - sorry

Blandmum Sat 09-Aug-08 21:25:35

I have a friend who is half jamacan and half UK white. Her skin is a creamy colour and if I jad to 'place' her ethnic origin I might say Greek. Her husband is all UK white.

Both their children are darker than she is by quite a bit.

the genetics of skin colour are very complex and IIRC there are at least 4 different genes controling the production of melanin, and 4 different versions of each gene

CarGirl Sat 09-Aug-08 21:25:56

My MIL tans very very very dark very very easily and my youngest dd had dark brown eyes by the time I cuddled her (2 mins after birth) and has some very odd skin markings like mongolian blue spots on the base of her spine etc.

However her family originate from the cornish coast (like 16thC) and used to have the surname Barbery as in Barbery Pirates........ pretty sure they've got mixed race heritage of some sort!

TheQueenIsDead Sat 09-Aug-08 21:28:20

Afro hair at two weeks? Most black babies have soft curls at this stage, not a tight afro.
Strange one, this. Have you got any pictures?

TheQueenIsDead Sat 09-Aug-08 21:28:59

My boys are mixed race and they both had straight hair till they were at least few months old.

oi Sat 09-Aug-08 21:30:20

hmm I suppose it's worth looking into your family history

my first child (dd) was very very dark when she was born and had a full head of dark curly hair (and was hairy on her body too). The woman in the next bed told me she had assumed that dh must be black because dd looked so dark but it wasn't the case.

She's still got the darkest skin of us all (though dh looks sort of arabic I suppose?).

You know, it DOES come as a shock actually (I am v fair in looks!). But as time goes on, you'll realise that you love her and she loves you and what she looks like matters not one jot.

knowaboutthis Sat 09-Aug-08 21:30:29

msd she is half black.

themoon66 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:32:27

hmm

EachPeachPearMum Sat 09-Aug-08 21:34:53

?

saggyhairyarse Sat 09-Aug-08 21:36:31

My DS looked mixed race when he was born, my DH is a red head and I am fair with light brown hair, and we did hmm about DSs colouring in a jokey way.

DS had dark hair in tight marcel waves, very dark skin (but he had jaundice) and he too 'looked mixed race' BUT he now looks Swedish as he is blonde, blonde with bright blue eyes and very fair skin that the skin reflects off and never tans.

Your baby is only a few weeks old, I bet she looks very different in a year and if she doesb't then you will love her jsut the same.

oi Sat 09-Aug-08 21:36:53

who is half black?

(I didn't even consider this was a wind up lol doh! )

littlemisschatalot Sat 09-Aug-08 21:38:55

how can the baby be half black if you and dh are both white?

Washersaurus Sat 09-Aug-08 21:39:07

I was just about to ask "which half?" grin

TheQueenIsDead Sat 09-Aug-08 21:39:48

I'm a bit hmm about this tbh.

knowaboutthis Sat 09-Aug-08 21:41:44

im trying to get across the fact that she doesn't look white as some people are trying to say.
oh she will look different later, she will not shes too dark for that plus the hair etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now