Talk

Advanced search

What's the deal with Medised now?

(21 Posts)
kittypower Fri 08-Aug-08 11:09:15

Can a 1 year old have it and if not why? I know they have changed the age limit recently but do any of you still give it to your little ones who are under 2?

missjennipenni Fri 08-Aug-08 11:13:26

They changed it?? I gave some to my 4 month old today, it said it was ok on the bottle, and my pharmacist agreed!

LostGirl Fri 08-Aug-08 11:26:50

Pharmacist refused to sell it to us recently as they said it was only to be used for children over 2. Has the content actually changed at all does anyone know?

4sCompany Fri 08-Aug-08 11:28:51

we had this, but our DS has used it since 6mths old. I think its because it contains an antihistamine.

I was refused it at the pharmacy in asda...ironic thing was that DS was 20 mths old at the time.

kittypower Fri 08-Aug-08 11:32:37

So do you think it is ok to carry on to giving it to them if they are under 2? As lostgirl says, I wonder if the content has changed at all

StealthPolarBear Fri 08-Aug-08 11:39:52

i thought it was only cough medicine. Medised isn't cough medicine!

StealthPolarBear Fri 08-Aug-08 11:40:08

only cough medicine where eules had changed I mean

IAmNotHere Fri 08-Aug-08 11:43:06

Medised is definitely now for age2+. I don't know if the ingredients have changed though. I'd avoid using it just in case, I think.

missjennipenni Fri 08-Aug-08 11:49:47

Crikey, ive been using it for my DS since he had hsi 2nd jabs he had some this morning too! What are the risks in using it at his age? My pharamicist checked his age before selling it to me!

missjennipenni Fri 08-Aug-08 11:52:47

Am very worried now, what harm could i have done by giving him a dose this morning??

ajm200 Fri 08-Aug-08 12:02:13

I doubt you'll have done any harm to your LO by giving him medised. It was on the market for over a year before they decided it wasn't suitable for under 2s

I know a lot of parents whose under 2s can't take it as it causes an upset stomach. My LO is the same, he's ok for 1 or 2 does but any more than that and he starts projectile vomiting. Maybe that is why it has been withdrawn for the under 2s

Cosette Fri 08-Aug-08 12:02:42

From age 2, unless directed otherwise by a doctor - www.medised.co.uk/faq.asp

StealthPolarBear Fri 08-Aug-08 12:03:49

When did all this happen and why wasn't it more widely publicised (as with the cough medicine stuff a few months ago)? I hadn't even heard of this, DS has probably had a few doses, all when he was older as I hadn't heard of it when he was tiny!

missjennipenni Fri 08-Aug-08 12:04:32

Just checked the bottle i have, bought 1 month ago, and it says from 3 months? has it changed literally in last few weeks/days?

ajm200 Fri 08-Aug-08 12:30:57

It changed a few months ago but the chemists are still selling their old stock.

Seona1973 Fri 08-Aug-08 12:51:12

it changed a while ago (March 2008) and was in the news too. It was to do with accidental overdosing and I think there were a couple of deaths too.

Cough medicine banned for children under 2

StealthPolarBear Fri 08-Aug-08 13:05:19

That's what I was thinking of, but Medised isn't cough medicine, is it??

fluffyanimal Fri 08-Aug-08 13:11:11

That article calls it cough medicine, but the full list there includes Medised and other cold/fever remedies. The pharmacist I spoke to said there had been new research about the active ingredients but I couldn't get much more out of her than that.

Mikafan Fri 08-Aug-08 13:15:03

the formulation hasn't changed and it can still be given to under 2's, they are just covering their backs as some people were overmedicating their baby's. As long as you stay within the amounts given on the bottle it will be fine.

ruthity Sat 13-Sep-08 17:28:59

I emailed Medised and this is part of the reply. it's because of the risk of overdose....
"...However, children under 2 are more vulnerable due to their small size, and therefore may be particularly susceptible to the effects of overdose. This new advice will reduce that possibility and is a precautionary measure.

In line with this new advice, we will be changing our packs within the next six months, to advise parents that Medised is suitable for children aged 2 years and over."

Hope that is helpful.

macdoodle Sat 13-Sep-08 21:10:04

seeing as my 8 month old is the same size as half of 2 year olds (22lbs) I shant be worried grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now