Talk

Advanced search

How to baby-safe my flat

(13 Posts)
wonderstuff Fri 08-Aug-08 10:54:29

I have a gorgeous art deco bookcase with glass panelled doors in my living room, dd loves to use everything including said bookcase to pull up on. I have nowhere to store this bookcase, and because my flat is so tiny nowhere else for baby to play and am scared she will break the glass and cause herself a serious injury. What to do? Any ideas?

wonderstuff Fri 08-Aug-08 11:02:24

Pic of said bookcase on profile (I hope)

ellideb Fri 08-Aug-08 11:03:49

You need to 'unlock' your setting so we can see!

Can you buy one of those large gate things that will wrap around it?

wonderstuff Fri 08-Aug-08 11:09:05

There, should work now! Room is already pretty small, worry those gate thingys will make it smaller, and look awful?

ninedragons Fri 08-Aug-08 11:16:03

When I lived in Hong Kong, during typhoon season I used to tape up the windows so if they smashed the glass wouldn't go flying everywhere.

Could you cover the glass panes with clear Contact film cut to size? If it is on the outside of the glass, at least it should hold the shards in place if it does break.

wonderstuff Fri 08-Aug-08 11:19:07

WHat a fab idea nd! We actually have some static frosting we used on our bedroom window that should do the job..

mrsgboring Fri 08-Aug-08 11:21:18

Also, get a metal bracket and fix the bookcase to the wall (if not fixed already)

GLTC sells film for putting over glass, if you need to buy more or want clear.

ninedragons Fri 08-Aug-08 11:24:01

Double-check it would be safe with someone who knows these things. DD is only 6MO so thank God not yet at the forks-in-sockets stage.

wonderstuff Fri 08-Aug-08 11:25:44

We have brought the bracket to fix to the wall, now need to fix it, we are great at buying things, rubbish at fitting them blush Will sort tomorrow, thanks x

desperatehousewifetoo Fri 08-Aug-08 14:47:41

Can you put an armchair in front of it?

wonderstuff Fri 08-Aug-08 14:54:17

Would be tricky to get the books out then dht! Going to attach it to the wall and put plastic film over the glass and lock the doors and move the keys out of reach because the little tinker has worked out the keys come out and are nice to chew!!

desperatehousewifetoo Fri 08-Aug-08 21:29:04

Sorry didn't realise you actually wanted to get to your books! Thought they'd be like mine and just there as dust collectors!

wonderstuff Sat 09-Aug-08 16:03:11

Well I want it to at least look like I read books!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now