Talk

Advanced search

How long has everybody been a SAHM, if they have?

(15 Posts)
sarah293 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:29:33

Message withdrawn

TheCrackFox Thu 07-Aug-08 18:30:24

7 years but planning on going PT soon.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 07-Aug-08 18:31:26

two years looking for p/t work as we speak actually.

newpup Thu 07-Aug-08 18:48:41

10 years now, DDs are 9 & 6. Keep meaning to go back but am always too busy grin I have lots of friends who never went back either and their children are older than mine.

Mercy Thu 07-Aug-08 18:51:10

Nearly 7½ years here.

Hopefully will be working part-time within the year.

Nbg Thu 07-Aug-08 18:52:44

16 years!

<takes hat off>

Almost 5 years now and I've got another 5 years ahead at least.

susue Thu 07-Aug-08 18:55:38

18 years and I've loved every minute of it. I've been very lucky in that I haven't needed to work and I love being at home.

7 years and I've had enough, am off to college next month.

quickdrawmcgraw Fri 08-Aug-08 09:55:01

7 years. I'm a freelancer too. I think the year after next I'd like to start earning a steady wage while they're in school though.

Goober Fri 08-Aug-08 10:00:59

14 years. Will find something when DS2 starts high school in 2 years, but only PT.
Have enjoyed it, even though money has been tight. IMO the only option when having children. Yes, I am old-fashioned!

lizziemun Fri 08-Aug-08 10:39:18

4 1/2 yrs had planned to go back to work when dd1 started school but had dd2 last sept again thought i would go back to work pt next year when mum retired but have just found out i am 10 to 13 weeks pg again so now i don't know when i will go back.

But having i do like being at home and at the moment we can manage with out me working.

SoupKitchen Fri 08-Aug-08 10:41:11

Nearly a year, but now do some cleaning (paid) while DC are in preschool.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 08-Aug-08 10:42:37

Since beginning of April - have been doing some freelance work. DS is 4.8 and DD is 2.10

Morloth Fri 08-Aug-08 10:46:27

On and off for me, I have learned that life is flexible. I am currently working 4 days a week and am going to be a lady of leisure again from September when DS goes back to school.

MrsTittleMouse Fri 08-Aug-08 10:51:12

2 years. I was in a "good" professional job before, but to be honest I was getting pretty fed up of it, as was DH. So DH has taken a sideways move to work less hours and I'm a SAHM. We are very lucky that we can manage on his salary, as we live in the SE and housing is so expensive.

Being a SAHM has had huge advantages so far, as it has enabled me to have fertility treatment to conceive DB2 - it would have been very stressful to juggle that around work and childcare, especially as we haven't made our infertility public. Now that I'm pregnant again, I don't suppose I'll go back to work for a couple more years. I wonder how I would find a job that covered childcare costs for two children, plus another car, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now