Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Tax credits!!! Ensure you report a change in circumstances AS SOON AS THEY HAPPEN!! I didn't...and <sob>

(40 Posts)
PussinJimmyChoos Mon 04-Aug-08 15:01:51

Wasn't sure where to put this but as we all fill in the twunting child tax credit forms, I thought parenting would be a good place!

I stupidly thought that when you fill the tax credit form in, as it is a retrospective look at income for the tax year just finished (ie April 07 - April 08), that the fact that DS went to nursery etc would just be covered when filled in this years tax credit form under the would you like to report a change in circumstances, if so ring us to let us know and be subjected to questioning that guantanamo bay staff would be proud of

Oh! How wrong was I!! Apparently, because we didn't tell them then that DS started nursery last May, how long for, which nursery, bra and hip measurement of nursery nurses etc, we only get three days backdated.....

So, learn from my bitter lesson dear mumsnetters and report everthing!! Even a change in bowel movements!!

<resumes sobbing>

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Mon 04-Aug-08 15:03:58

why would DS going to Nursery affect your Tax Credits?

lljkk Mon 04-Aug-08 15:06:03

Yeah, except they they don't get it right, do they? They still have down zero childcare for us in 2003, becaues we changed to no childcare providers in the last 6 weeks of 2003 (having had 3 providers that financial year before that). And back then (is this the case, still??), they could only change one thing at a time, we were phoning every 4-6 weeks with 1-2 changes, half of which they got wrong, and otherwise half of which they would entirely ignore.

What happens if you're self-employed and you only get childcare sporadicaly when the work comes in (like a flexible place at afterschool club)?

I had a baby this year and I know I should report his existence for whatever extra allowance he means, but I can't face the aggro. They'll get it wrong, no doubt AGAIN.

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 04-Aug-08 15:06:29

Because you can then see if you are eligible to claim the child care tax credit element for nursery costs etc...

bonnibaby Mon 04-Aug-08 15:53:04

Our last letter had us down as having 3 children.
The two youngest with the same first and middle name...Er no we only have two ,
IF we did have another we would give her her own name.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 15:54:04

Inform them immediately, in writing, via Recorded Delivery. Keep the receipts and a copy of your signed letter.

bonnibaby Mon 04-Aug-08 15:58:42

phoned them to tell them as soon as we got the letter.

hughjarssss Mon 04-Aug-08 16:00:50

I'm goin to back work after maternity leave on Thursday.
Do I have to tell them my hours have changed from f/t to p/t?

hughjarssss Mon 04-Aug-08 16:02:03

LOL @ bonnibaby's complete lack of imagination in naming her 3 children!

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 16:04:38

Yes, you need to tell them.

If you look at your award statement, it will list how many hours you work (You normally work 35+ hours/week or You normally work 16 hours/week).

I would inform them immediately

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 16:06:40

new rules for tax credits claimants, as of 1 Feb. 2008:


BlueDragonfly Mon 04-Aug-08 16:07:06

we tell them of every little tiny change ie If DP works 30 hours a week and changed to 32 we tell them. Just so we know we have covered our back. We could not survive without tax credits at the moment!

hughjarssss Mon 04-Aug-08 16:16:37

I just phoned to tell them and apprantly they can't do anything till Thursday so I have to phone back.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 16:17:33

If you phone and don't get a new awards statement within a couple of weeks, contact them again.

Make sure to write down whom you spoke with and the date and time you phoned.

EyeballsintheSky Mon 04-Aug-08 16:47:12

Oh my goodness, dd is nearly 7 months old and I haven't even claimed any yet. Have I missed the boat? I know nothing about this sort of things as I've never had to do it before...

mumdebump Mon 04-Aug-08 17:01:44

They can only back date for 3 months I think so if you're entitled you may have missed out on 4 months worth.

lljkk Mon 04-Aug-08 18:12:32

And when you do get statement after informing them of changes, read it carefully. Expect to find something wrong (or several things wrong). Expect to do several more phone calls to get it right. About 2 weeks after you get a statement which is exactly right in every way, expect them to phone you (yes, it does happen!) to verify some of your details.

About a week later you will get a statement with some thing wrong on it -- great, eh? Can you see why I've given up on them completely!?

ilovemydog Mon 04-Aug-08 18:16:34

Pussin - but you aren't wrong about tex credits being in arrears - they are!

OK, you made an honest mistake, but think it's disproportionate not to be allowed to claim any of the nursery fees!

I go and see your MP, along the mea culpa lines, but at the same time, couldn't something be done....

I mean it isn't as if HMRC get it right every time, is it? wink

simpson Mon 04-Aug-08 18:20:27

I have had to ring them several times as on mat leave and now gone down to basic mat pay what a bunch of idiots I tell you. Also the thing that annoys me is they send me a copy of new award statement and DH a copy and we leave in the same house!!

I have made note to call them in Oct when my money goes down to zero.

catweazle Mon 04-Aug-08 18:21:52

No point seeing an MP. You can only backdate it for 3 months- thems the rules.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:28:08

Yet they can backdate your overpayment by years and years.

ilovemydog Mon 04-Aug-08 18:32:36

Well, the rules should be challenged.

She made an honest mistake, and I disagree that there's no point in seeing your MP. Is that the purpose of an MP? To help their constituents?

hughjarssss Mon 04-Aug-08 18:33:41

Thanks Expat, will be sure to do that.

I didn't tell them when my wages stopped and SMP started. But they've got my annual earnings for 07/08 correct, so it should be ok shouldn't it?

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:36:26

Hmm, it could make a difference - with your being awarded more money - depending on when your leave began.

I think it would best to get in contact with them.

Just be careful about keeping records of whom you spoke with and dates/times if you're doing it over the phone.

And check your new award statement carefully.

sarah293 Mon 04-Aug-08 18:39:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: