Talk

Advanced search

OK, now be honest. What do you really think when a toddler is shrieking in a public place?

(88 Posts)
Twinklemegan Sun 03-Aug-08 21:59:32

My 2 year old DS has taken to doing this - in Tescos, even in the library fgs. The library's a no brainer - obviously I remove him from said place ASAP. The supermarket's different though - we have to eat. I've started ordering online, but I still need to go from time to time.

The right thing to do, I believe, is ignore him. But oh the looks, and the shame. I used to be that woman who looked, nudged her husband and tutted. I used to be the one who thought parents of screaming toddlers were bad parents. So I lamely try to show displeasure: "that's enough", "I won't tell you again etc.". But I know it's futile - it's just for show.

Tell me what I should do! Ignore or react? What do you do?

funnypeculiar Sun 03-Aug-08 22:00:54

I think "Thank God, someone else's kids are playing up" smile

IdrisTheDragon Sun 03-Aug-08 22:01:50

I think to myself "At least it's not mine at the moment" and keep on doing whatever I was doing at the time.

Definitely no tutting from me.

If I'm in the supermarket and it happens then I just speed up and get done as fast I as can.

MissisBoot Sun 03-Aug-08 22:02:00

I ignore my dd one the rare occasions that she does it - sod everyone else and carry on as usual - sometimes I've told her to shout louder as I can't hear her

Toothyboy Sun 03-Aug-08 22:02:02

If it's someone else's, I think "Thank God it's not mine this time".

If it is mine - I ignore him.

sleepycat Sun 03-Aug-08 22:02:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PinkTulips Sun 03-Aug-08 22:03:35

usually;

'it's not mine, it's not mine, it's not mine, yippee it's not mine grin'

sometimes;

'would she for gods sake stop screaming at the poor child and be a parent angrysad'

lazaroulovesleggings Sun 03-Aug-08 22:03:59

So funny everyone thinks the same thing 'thank god it's not mine!'

notnowbernard Sun 03-Aug-08 22:04:04

I have a nearly-2 yr old

She is prone to yelling attacks in public places

I first try to distract her with something, if that fails I will do a bit of "There, there, come on" type attempt at calming down, if THAT fails (which inevitably it does - it's a pretty lame method, let's be honest) I Ignore, Ignore, Ignore

Bugger Joe Public grin

LuckySalem Sun 03-Aug-08 22:04:09

When DD of 6 months starts screaming her head off I get really embarrased and try to entertain her in a different way (its normally cos she's bored of sitting in the trolley now)

As for is someone else does it, I smirk and think that kids got some lungs but I don't judge.

policywonk Sun 03-Aug-08 22:04:13

I usually think 'that poor man/woman, I bet they feel really embarrassed'. Anyone who has looked after a small child for any length of time will understand the situation. Those who are tutting either haven't had children, or were really crap parents.

Habbibu Sun 03-Aug-08 22:04:28

Friend of my mum was v. cool - toddler screaming, on floor, hands and feet flailing, full-on tantrum. Mother coolly steps past child, and says, in passing "When you've finished, come and find me. I'll be in the bread aisle".

FluffyMummy123 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:04:49

Message withdrawn

KTNoo Sun 03-Aug-08 22:05:05

Give him a biscuit in the trolley BEFORE he starts screaming.

Ignore the looks from other people. You can't win anyway. There will always be one camp thinking oh the poor child and one camp thinking can't get the parents these days.

I feel sympathy for parents of shrieking toddlers. Until I had a weekend away on my own, that is, and then I forgot I ever had children and went back to "why can't they CONTROL that child?!"

notnowbernard Sun 03-Aug-08 22:05:10

Another toddler tantrumming doesn't bother me though

Habbibu Sun 03-Aug-08 22:05:34

Oh Cod, you lie. You are far too busy judging her shoes.

ShowOfHands Sun 03-Aug-08 22:06:14

There but for the grace of God...

Twinklemegan Sun 03-Aug-08 22:08:05

Now come on, when you're all in your sixties and you've forgotten what your children used to do, you will all judge won't you? That's what older women do best isn't it?

Why do I care fgs?! I need more confidence. It definitely sounds like ignore is the strategy and sod 'em. grin

misdee Sun 03-Aug-08 22:08:07

i think 'how come their kid just screams. mine swore at me in tesco at that age blush'

does that mke you feel better?

Twinklemegan Sun 03-Aug-08 22:11:20

Actually this is a prime example of "be careful what you wish for". It wasn't so long ago I was being embarrassed by my DS saying Hiya to every Tom, Dick and Harry in sight, and charming the socks off people. He's still perfectly capable of being that cute little boy with a twinkle in his eye, and yet... Oh God, what have I done?

differentID Sun 03-Aug-08 22:13:21

depends. Usually, its just a thought of "Good God, how loud." Second thought is about the people tutting, usually not complimentary.

Doodle2U Sun 03-Aug-08 22:16:23

I think "Thank God it's not my turn today".

But I always try to smile and raise my eyes in a "What can you do?" kind of way to the parent, so they know, I know what it can be like.

expatinscotland Sun 03-Aug-08 22:17:01

I feel stirrings of empathy.

mckenzie Sun 03-Aug-08 22:17:18

3 year old DD had the tantrum of all tantrums yesterday in our local shopping precinct. One lady even came up to me and asked if I was okay, not in a condescending way but in a 'I've been there, I know how you must be feeling, are you doing okay?' kind of way. I thought that was really kind of her.

wahwah Sun 03-Aug-08 22:23:03

I had some old woman shush my son! When I told her that I was perfectly capable of managing my child's behaviour by not rewarding it with attention, she shut up. My son didn't, though.

Really, though am always glad it's not mine shrieking the place down and try to give a sympathetic smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now