Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing the right thing in forcing my only ds to do things have playdates etc

(5 Posts)
lostittoday Sun 03-Aug-08 19:57:12

Hi
I find my ds really difficult to motivate into doing things such as going to the park, or the library etc.
I have come to the realisation that he can be lazy and would probably prefer to watch telly or play with his toys.
He has lost interest in any clubs I have ever enrolled him into.
The summer holidays are here now but I am finding it difficult to get him interested in any of the numerous childrens activites that are going on.
I turned off the telly the other day and said right we are going to the library which caused major upset with him.
I really do wish he would show some excitement for some of the things I suggest doing and feel disappointed that he doesn,t.
I have gone out of my way to arrange playdates during the holidays but he has just moaned at who they are even though he is usually best buddies with them at school and he says he doesn,t want them even though he is generally okay when they are here and does play.
I hate his attitude at times maybe I should leave him to flippin watch telly all day every day of the holidays.
Does anybody else find this with their ds he is 7 and an only.

mylovelymonster Sun 03-Aug-08 20:02:43

I think you're doing absolutely the right thing in encouraging your little boy to be sociable and do a few different things. He will benefit from it hugely in the future, I'm sure.

and as you say - he plays and has a nice time when his friends come to play, so I really don't see a problem.

juuule Sun 03-Aug-08 20:07:01

Let him do what he wants to do.
Carry on making suggestions but if he doesn't want to then don't worry.
He might just watch telly to begin with but he'll probably get bored after a while and then take you up on your suggestions.
Maybe he just wants a break without hassle for a while.
Have you asked him what he wants to do?
Presumably if you have things to do he has to go with you anyway. So he will be getting out and about. Maybe if he's okay with it, stop off at the park or library or somewhere on the way home and have some lunch out.

kittywise Sun 03-Aug-08 20:07:17

I think the tv is a big contribution to childhood lethargy. I find that mine are very lethargic when the tv's on and would happily sit in front of it until their brains rotted away.
I make them turn it of and they do get more interactive.
I think that you are doing the right thing.

Shoegazer Sun 03-Aug-08 21:44:52

I don't have a 7 yo so feel free to completely disregard what I have to say, but it does sound like you are trying to get him to do an awful lot of things - doing things like going to the library or the park, no interested in any of the clubs you have enrolled him in, the numerous children's activities, playdates, he has no interest in what I suggest doing. DO you think that you could just be overloading him with choice and with the pressure to do something? Absolutely limit the television if that is what you want to do, but let him do what interests him at any given moment, let him get bored! He doesn't have to have a timetable full of things to do.

I do have an only and I really do understand the reasons why you are doing this, but I don't think it is a good idea to force him to do anything activity and playdate wise, but I think that you need to encourage him or facilitate him doing something things, but let him have some down time too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now