Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Naps at 2- help and or support please...

(14 Posts)
mathsmummy27 Sat 02-Aug-08 18:30:42

DD is 2 and 1/2 and has always been stubborn about sleeping. Got into a great routine where she sleeps beautifully at night and for up to two hours at lunchtime, but recently she has been refusing to sleep. If she does sleep, it is for at least one and 1/2 hours - and if she doesn't, she is grumpy and difficult until bedtime, which leads me to believe she still needs naps. I am just pregnant with number two and desperately need nap time myself. Recently we have let her fuss (always have done in the past, with great success) but today she cried, sang, screamed, played and shouted for 4 hours...help!

nell12 Sat 02-Aug-08 18:35:15

Oh dear, I hate to say it, but you have entered the twilight zone of the end of nap time... and at a really bad point for you, poor thing.

Will dd stay in her room and listen to a story cd?

When my dcs hit this stage, I instigated quiet time during the early afternoon; we would snuggle up on the sofa and watch a movie or read stories. That way they were getting a bit of a re-charge.

Chaotica Sat 02-Aug-08 18:35:25

We have similar problems with DD (2.3) but I wouldn't leave her for 4 hours.

We just decide that on some days the nap ain't happening and bring her back downstairs (in fact, that is often the way to get her to nap: we go upstairs for some milk and a story and she can 'have a sleep if she's tired and if she isn't she can read another book then come downstairs again' - she rarely screams about it and often naps (or plays happily). I know what you mean about the non-nap days though - if there's no nap, DP and I just warn each other at the first opportunity grin.

denbury Sat 02-Aug-08 18:37:03

lucky you that she still sleeps for that long during the day!!! when i was expecting number 2 number 1 didn't have day time naps but was happy watching bob the builder and thomas the tank engine. these lasted for about 30-45 mins and i felt better stitting and doing nothing for this time and sometimes even shut my eyes!!

Chaotica Sat 02-Aug-08 18:57:10

...And then we hide!

wornoutwaitress Sat 02-Aug-08 19:30:21

can you tell her it is ok if she doesn't want to go to sleep but she has to have quiet time instead curled up on the sofa looking at books/watching tv or something?

mathsmummy27 Sat 02-Aug-08 20:04:26

I could, but she's not the kind of child to crash or even sit still for very long at all - hence the enforced naps really. I've always been strict because she will never admit to being tired or slow down for herself. If I were to give her some choice, wouldn't she just choose not to nap?
Forgot to add have also tried carrot/stick but doesnt seem to work consistently.

mathsmummy27 Sun 03-Aug-08 10:49:56

Have been worried all night. I think I'm just taking it too seriously - if she naps, fine, if not, stop being a *control freak*....blush
Thanks everyone

mamadiva Sun 03-Aug-08 10:56:24

I'm having te exact same problem with my 2YO at the mo in fact I just posted a thread as was losing my mind but after nearly 2.5 hours of screaming, singing, laughing, giggling and shouting he has finally gone to sleep.

Weegle Sun 03-Aug-08 11:26:27

DS is 2.2 and we seem to be in the twilight zone of daytime naps, for the last 3 weeks he hasn't slept every day. I just stick to his routine, take him for a nap as usual, and leave him to it. If he naps, great, if he doesn't I'm adamant I still get my recharge time. Not sure how long it will work for. I only leave him 1-1.5 hours though, and would go to him sooner if he was losing it. I need the quiet time to rest myself (have arthritis) and so I'm determined that even when the nap has gone for good he will still have quiet time in his room after lunch when I can rest myself, maybe I am fooling myself?!

mathsmummy27 Sun 03-Aug-08 20:24:51

Thanks so much for support everyone

reban Sun 03-Aug-08 20:29:52

Have you tried having your lie down with your dd. Use it as special time together, maybe snuggle up on your bed, then you both get a rest?

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 03-Aug-08 20:41:21

Lucky you that she's carried on sleeping during the day for this long! Dd is 2.5 and mostly dropped her nap a few months ago. The grumpy late afternoon is very familiar in this household, and we still suffer from it because she mostly doesn't sleep long enough at night to avoid it. You'll probably find that she will want to sleep a few days a week, but not every day for a while. Dd was more likely to nod off in the car if we could arrange to be in it around lunch. She's also not someone who ever does quiet time or amusing herself, but we've learned to (reluctantly) accept that. It is hard work, esp as I'm now 7 months pregnant and the long summer holidays are here with none of our usual activities running. Sympathies.

mathsmummy27 Mon 04-Aug-08 21:25:05

Thanks CantSleep. Have spent last few days doing fun activities, didn't make it home for nap time and didnt care but luckily DH let me sleep as soon as I got home as was cream-crackered. 7 months grin you must be so excited (but yes, very tired..)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now