Talk

Advanced search

At what stage do boys pee standing up?

(17 Posts)
fin42 Fri 01-Aug-08 23:03:28

My ds, who has been potty trained for over a year doesn't seem to be interested in peeing standing up yet. I asked him tonight if the other boys in nursery did and he said yes most of them do but not him.
Also how do you teach them if they haven't got into the habit from day 1?

ChopsTheDuck Fri 01-Aug-08 23:06:25

my ds1 didn't really do it until a while after he started f/t school whereas my dts have started pretty soon after potty training adn aren't 3.5 yet. I'd say leave it to come naturally - it's not worth worrying about.

TakeMeHome Fri 01-Aug-08 23:07:51

Well, my husband is 40 and he still has trouble !!

No seriously - my ds was 4 before he did it all the time, wanted the potty before that which we put down to laziness (like his father!!).

He was "taught" to wee standing up only when we took the potty away and he had no other choice !!

kitkat9 Fri 01-Aug-08 23:07:53

my ds is 4.6 and has just startd doing it, maybe about 2 months ago.

He started copying daddy.. i don't think it's a big deal tbh, and I hadn't really thought about it, he just started doing it himself.

ThingOne Fri 01-Aug-08 23:08:12

My DS1 is 4.7 and won't contemplate it. He considered it once and that was it. As far as I can gather about half his friends stand and half sit. And I think the nursery discouraged it due to mess grin.

girlandboy Fri 01-Aug-08 23:09:58

My ds was about 3, he would do it at the same time as daddy! A friend's ds has only just started to do it and he's 7.

GrinningGorilla Fri 01-Aug-08 23:11:29

My ds's were 3, but they often missed the bowl and hit the floor. Practice make perfect....

cornsilk Fri 01-Aug-08 23:11:57

I can't remember!

Ready4anotherCoffee Fri 01-Aug-08 23:13:41

Ds, now 4, always preferred the freedom of standing up, his is better than his fathers too! right from the start he only sat to poo, it's caused problems trying to potty train dd1grin

themoon66 Fri 01-Aug-08 23:13:50

Cannot remember age. I DO recall that DS had to stand on tippy toes to get his willy over the edge of the loo though grin

Califrau Fri 01-Aug-08 23:15:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fin42 Fri 01-Aug-08 23:22:28

Thanks for that everybody. I'll take it off my to-do list then, till he's bothered.grin

Pruners Fri 01-Aug-08 23:23:44

Message withdrawn

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 23:28:44

I trained my ds sitting down, wasnt sure what to do but that worked fine, and he started doing it standing up by himself when he was about 3.5 But even then he sometimes used to sit down until he started school. From that point standing only!!!

alipiggie Fri 01-Aug-08 23:30:01

Mine just decided themselves. And I also have lovely memories of DS2 struggling to pee into the toilet. Interestingly enough most Europeans pee sitting down - well the ones I know do .

OurHamsterisevil Sat 02-Aug-08 14:38:12

I discourage DS1 to wee standing up. More chance of mess that way.grin He is 4.11 and most of the time sits down, but will occasionally do it standing.

threestars Sat 02-Aug-08 18:15:23

Mainly from the outset because he liked being like his dad. Used to stand on my feet to get tall enough to do it. Then made to push his tummy out as far as possible, to avoid peeing on my his feet.
Do you have a garden? ds likes 'picnic' wees most of all. Outside ones might be a good place to start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now