Talk

Advanced search

If your 8yo has a cold, do you stay up with him/her into the early hours of the morning because her nose is stuffed ....

(19 Posts)
2sugars Fri 01-Aug-08 07:25:55

.... or do you just think **&&>>>!!! get over it?

Thoughts please. I was torn.

mrspnut Fri 01-Aug-08 07:28:05

Tell them to go away and leave me alone. I am totally unsympathetic though when anyone in my family is ill.

DuffyMoon Fri 01-Aug-08 07:30:04

I'm afraid I dose em up, go awwww poor you, go back to sleep.....

2sugars Fri 01-Aug-08 07:34:33

Did the poor you on the first night, second night I (resentfully) stayed up nursing her, till 12.45. And this is from someone who normally goes to bed at 9.00pm.

Just wondered where you draw the line between being caring and letting them know they've got to get on with it because everyone else has to.

DuffyMoon Fri 01-Aug-08 07:38:13

oh dear poor you....I admit I am crap at them being ill ay night and do emphasise the need for (my) sleep.....if it was me I would be harder but easier said than done. Colds during summer are a bugger because they get all hot and bothered which doesnt help. Have you tried Medised or night time calpol, they can help. I hope she feels a bit better soon

seeker Fri 01-Aug-08 07:41:29

Olbas on the pillow and on a tissue and a story tape and goodnight.

Or just let them come into bed with me. Wouldn't sit up with them

2sugars Fri 01-Aug-08 07:43:48

Duffy, I have the ONLY child that won't take anything, at all. It's not the flavour, it's the fact she's taking medicine. God help her if she's ever really ill. Not even suncream - even in our subtropical 'day' she had to wear long sleeved t-shirts.

ErnestTheBavarian Fri 01-Aug-08 07:45:35

8 years old?????

No being torn here. Get to bed.Alone.

Am amazed you were torn.

I would've torn heads off, being woken up for a bleedin stuffed nose hmm

the line is drawn at bed time. And doesn't budge.

ChopsTheDuck Fri 01-Aug-08 07:46:56

I'd think get over it, sorry! Especially as she is making it worse by refusing medicine.
Would she also object to a bowl of vick/steaming eater in her room? Or a karvol plug in?

RusselBrussel Fri 01-Aug-08 07:47:18

Some karvol drops on his/her pj top and back to bed. If 8yo is very persistant he/she can't sleep I give a spoon of calpol.
There is no way in the world I am staying up for the sake of a blocked nose.

[cruel heartless mummy emoticon]

ChopsTheDuck Fri 01-Aug-08 07:47:46

steaming water

2sugars Fri 01-Aug-08 07:50:31

God, you made me LOL. Thanks. Now I know^[grin

Lemontart Fri 01-Aug-08 07:50:37

I give my "can’t possibly take medicines" DD a "special get well yoghurt" - has calpol mixed in unbeknown to her. Works even though she is 7.
Kids can have blocked up noses for days if not a couple of weeks. Impossible to stay up with every blocked nose. That could be weeks and weeks of sleepless nights if one child follows on where the other left off.

misdee Fri 01-Aug-08 07:54:18

i say go to bed and try and sleep it off and you feel better.

but i do the whole works, medicine, vicks vapour rub, karvol drops and either hot water bottle or cool pack depending on what they need.

seeker Fri 01-Aug-08 07:56:24

I had a medicine refusing child. No calpol or anything til he was 7. Then he broke his arm - and was suddenly prepared to take anything he was told would help it stop hurting. Thereby confirming my belief that if a child is well enough to refuse calpol they are well enough not to need it.

But I would let a child of any age come into my bed if they wanted to if they weren't well so long as they promised to go to sleep and not disturb me.

LIZS Fri 01-Aug-08 07:57:51

Vaporiser, olbas oil, calpol if needs be and sleep ! No dilemma here , I like my sleep too !

lizziemun Fri 01-Aug-08 08:44:33

I don't even stay up with my 11mth let alone my 4.6yrs.

I give capol put on a vaporiser and tell them to go to sleep,.

nell12 Fri 01-Aug-08 08:52:14

Pretty much a consensus here!

Tell dd to take medicine and you will stay with her for a bit, if she doesn't she can get on with it by herself.

<<<Sends 2sugars vibes of strength ready for when her dd starts her periods grin>>>

Doodle2U Fri 01-Aug-08 09:00:09

I give Medised to dry the snot up, thus allowing them to breathe and get some sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now