Talk

Advanced search

Anybody else absolutely sick to death of trying to raise 3 kids in a house the size of a shoe box?

(36 Posts)
MilaMae Thu 31-Jul-08 19:29:17

Because I am!!!!!!

Totally fed up with itsad angry sad

Oh and if it rains again tomorrow I shall be locking myself in the bathroom with a very large bottle of wine!!!!!!!

If anybody in a similar situation has any tips on keeping ones sanity in a teeny house,during a week of rain with 3 kids please feel free to share. I'm all out of creativity. Just how do other people do it without shouting???????? How do you manage to make space so they can, you know- play???????

lou031205 Thu 31-Jul-08 19:42:27

How big is your house, MilaMae?

MilaMae Thu 31-Jul-08 19:46:31

Tiny

somebodyhelpme Thu 31-Jul-08 19:49:20

i'm with you, tips would be great, 5 ds in a 2 bed house is not good in the rain!

Poppychick Thu 31-Jul-08 19:53:11

Nightmare!

Gazebo on the patio!
Board out the loft.

CarGirl Thu 31-Jul-08 19:53:36

It's hard going isn't it, I'm very grateful to have girls because our house and garden is too small to have had boys tbh.

Painting, junk modelling, making tents out of things. Take them to the park in the rain anyway? Actually mine still play out in the garden in the rain.

lou031205 Thu 31-Jul-08 19:53:38

5! I was wondering about the house size because we are ttc #3 and we live in a 3 bed, 1 reception house, and no garden to speak of (It is paving slabbed).

NotDoingTheHousework Thu 31-Jul-08 19:59:53

Message withdrawn

chelsygirl Thu 31-Jul-08 20:02:40

can I have a swig?

we made ds1 a bedroom out of a cupboard, you'll all think this is a joke bit I swear my life on it, its too bloody true

misdee Thu 31-Jul-08 20:03:30

can i play?

we live i na 3bedroom bungalow. kids room are 7ftx8ft and 9ftx8ft, our room is about 10ftx10ft.

living room can onyl fit in 3 seater sofa and table really (plus tv and pc)

the kitchen is actually an ok size, but so badly designed by the council that the fridge freezer has to be sited in front of the window, and cant fit the table in there (am planning on ripping it all out and redsigning it once i save up £2k).

regards rain. i just let them play out in it. wellie boots and rain macs. or if they want, just nude if its warm summer rain.

notnowbernard Thu 31-Jul-08 20:05:29

I'll play wink

2 bed flat, 2 pre-school dc, me and dp, a cat, headfuck cluttered kitchen, titch bathroom, dds' crap EVERYWHERE, titch garden but also have to supervise as very old, steep steps leading down to it

Small lounge with room for a sofa

But a handy dp who can build things to banish the mess grin

expatinscotland Thu 31-Jul-08 20:07:53

in a rented house just now that is GREAT.

but our landlords are coming back next year and we'll more than likely spend the rest of our days in a rented caravan.

still better than a flat, IMO. been there, bought the tshirt.

and burned it.

expatinscotland Thu 31-Jul-08 20:07:54

in a rented house just now that is GREAT.

but our landlords are coming back next year and we'll more than likely spend the rest of our days in a rented caravan.

still better than a flat, IMO. been there, bought the tshirt.

and burned it.

NotDoingTheHousework Thu 31-Jul-08 20:10:25

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 31-Jul-08 20:11:32

would it, not?

i've never lived in a place with an upstairs since having kids.

lived in flats and now this rented bungalow.

i find stairs a PITA, tbh.

MilaMae Thu 31-Jul-08 20:14:07

I think it depends on roomsize Lou. We are in a 3 bed house but one is a box room and all the rooms are absolutely tiny so not much space in any bedroom to play. Downstairs we have a kitchen /diner(big enough to house and do craft stuff) and a lounge both tiny. I have friends with 3 bed houses that could fit my entire downstairs floor space in one room.

I have 4 year old twin boys and a 3 year old dd. They want to play together all the time. They have lovely toys but very little room to get them out and actually play with them definately not more than one at a time so they have to agree which it ishmm

SHM I feel bad winging how on earth do you cope????

I can't help feeling there must be something I could do to make it easier. Just had the crappiest crap day and the dc weren't even that bad. It was basically due to the fact we can't swing a cat in here. I feel the kids are suffering especially the boys as they not able to play as boys should be able to and I get more stressed than I would if we had space.

I feel bad as it's cute and in a lovely part of the country and I know I should be grateful as others are far worse off but I'm really struggling with the space thing at the moment. Currently panicking as all 3 dc are still in toddler beds due to space being an issue,not even sure we'll be able to fit singles in their bedrooms and the twins really need bigger beds.

somebodyhelpme Thu 31-Jul-08 20:15:39

lol i like this game, two bedrooms, 1 10x10, one 15x10, largest has 2 sets of bunkbeds, and two sets of drawers, no floor! ours has a double bed, cot, wardrobe, chest of drawers no floor! tiny bathroom, living room ok, but 2 sofas, tv, pc, coffee table, loads of toys! no floor!
kitchen, table, fridge, freezer, oh no floor! and are garden is lovely, but has three levels, so little ones cant go outside with out suppervision, we do lots of rainy play, but the mud gets really bad! oh 5 ds's aged 10 and under! plus me dh and 2 cats!

notnowbernard Thu 31-Jul-08 20:17:24

Bloody Hell!

I shall stop moaning now blush

misdee Thu 31-Jul-08 20:17:53

forgot to say, 3 kids and one more on the way.

i love our bungalow, makes life easier, no stairs, though miss them, but at least i know where the kids are at all times lol.

NotDoingTheHousework Thu 31-Jul-08 20:19:01

Message withdrawn

MilaMae Thu 31-Jul-08 20:19:27

Oh god just done some measuring with measurements from the Ikea catalogue. Somebody tell me the bunkbeds in there are on the large size and you can get smaller!!!!!!!!!

Bernard just what does your handy dp build??????If it banishes mess I want it!!!!!!!!

MilaMae Thu 31-Jul-08 20:22:24

Somebodyhelpme you definately win,hands downs.

Mila doffs hat in total admiration.

CarGirl Thu 31-Jul-08 20:23:30

Argos do shorty bunkbeds, that are shorter than UK standard beds, Ikea beds are longer than UK standard too.

notnowbernard Thu 31-Jul-08 20:23:47

Ooh, he's great!

So far... a toy chest, a wardrobe for the dds, a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf/cd stoarage unit, a fireplace, fitted wardrobes, garden fence/gate (to block off the steps)

misdee Thu 31-Jul-08 20:24:52

bloody hell somebody help me.

though if you add up the length if both of my small rooms, i might be in second with soon to be 4 kids. have bunkbeds in one room, dd3 currently in a midlseeper, am just rearrnaging furniture to see if i can fit a cot in there as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now