Talk

Advanced search

Am going on holiday with 2YO should I brave it without a pushchair?

(39 Posts)
mamadiva Wed 30-Jul-08 08:40:10

Am going to visit family/friends in Glasgow for 5 days with my 2.1YO DS. Still use pushchair alot up here but is a big 3 wheeler and have to travel by train. We'll be travelling alot by bus but spending long days out too sometimes shopping.

Would you brave it and see how it goes or should I take pushchair just incase?

Twinkie1 Wed 30-Jul-08 08:41:14

I would buy a cheap one from Mothercare for £35 just for the trip - saves you lugging a big one around and you will need one at that age - mind you can't you ask if anyoe up there has a spare you can borrow?

Kbear Wed 30-Jul-08 08:41:39

buy a cheap buggy in Tesco or Argos - I don't think I would brave it without, you know how tired they get and then all hell might break loose!!

RubySlippers Wed 30-Jul-08 08:42:08

No way!

you will certainly need it

can you borrow a light weight stroller from someone just for the holidays

my 2.1 year old wouldn't manage walking all day (and i don't want to carry him all the time)

also, you will need somewhere to hang all your shopping wink

RuffleTheAnimal Wed 30-Jul-08 08:45:07

id lend you one if i were near, see if you can borrow a light buggy.

word of warning; the v cheapest buggy frm mothercare has v low handles and will do your back in pushing it if youre over 4foot9.

mamadiva Wed 30-Jul-08 08:48:34

LOL thanks for that.

Am on my 3rd pushchair now and he is a large 2 YO so would need something to accomodate him and am skint! LOL not expoecting much am I? PSML.

Am in 2 minds about it all. DP would be raging if I bought another as I bought the 03 sport in May due to outgroing 1 and hating the other pushchair.

Am very picky I must say.

milknosugar Wed 30-Jul-08 08:50:45

try freecycle. you might not get a pretty one but if it would do the job who cares? even better, get your family in glasgow to try freecycle, then you dont have to take it on the train. stick it back on freecycle afterwards

Anna8888 Wed 30-Jul-08 08:51:26

Get a Maclaren Volo

Nagapie Wed 30-Jul-08 08:52:38

Try Freecycle

Could one of the friends or family have friends or someone who could lend you a pram for a bit??

Flossish Wed 30-Jul-08 08:55:10

please don't do it!!

ClareVoiant Wed 30-Jul-08 08:57:14

Where are you madamdiva?

mamadiva Wed 30-Jul-08 08:58:10

Dont do what Flossish?

Im in Highlands and am visiting Glasgow.

nailpolish Wed 30-Jul-08 09:00:04

my dds never sat in a buggy after their 2nd birthday

id say go for it

Flier Wed 30-Jul-08 09:03:50

if you're planning long days out, I wouldn't chance going without one. Does he still sleep during the day?

mamadiva Wed 30-Jul-08 09:05:36

Yes sometimes he sleeps during the day. Just thought maybe because he's 2 he's old enough to try and walk it. Am I being mad to imagine he can do this?

nailpolish Wed 30-Jul-08 09:07:46

no you are not mad
as i said, my 2 ditched the buggy at 2

nailpolish Wed 30-Jul-08 09:09:59

cant you borrow a foldyup umbrella style o ne from a friend? i have one in the garage but i live in edinburgh im afraid

ask on mn for fellow glasgow mners

or try freecycle

your street cred will not be harmed grin

nailpolish Wed 30-Jul-08 09:10:33

oh also wanted to say lothian buses have stopped letting buggies on

dont know about glasgow buses but you should check

mamadiva Wed 30-Jul-08 09:11:26

What is freecycle? How do you use it? Sorry am useless at these things.

chumbreath Wed 30-Jul-08 09:12:04

You could try it, but I wouldnt try it on holiday!
If he is not ready to walk all the time and gets tired and grumpy, you'll have 5 days of misery!
Borrow one or beg on freecycle! Ask the friend you are visiting if she has friends you could borrow from near her.

nailpolish Wed 30-Jul-08 09:13:35

its a website whre people give away unwanted things

for free

mamadiva Wed 30-Jul-08 09:15:09

LOL well I gave my Jane stroller to her because I HATE it with a passion because it was shoddy quality and DS looked as though he was going to fall out and impossible to push when holding his hand.

Flier Wed 30-Jul-08 09:15:40

nailpolish sorry to hijack, but why have lothian buses stopped allowing buggies on?

nailpolish Wed 30-Jul-08 09:16:47

flier i ahve no idea

there is a thread about it - on the local ediburgh

hang on ill find it

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 30-Jul-08 09:17:13

We spent a fortnight in France without a buggy with 2.4 yr old dd, but we don't use one much/at all at home either. If you still use it a lot normally then it would seem a bit risky to go away without one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now