Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Swapping baby clothes

(6 Posts)
Wafflesnaffler Tue 29-Jul-08 16:07:57

Hmmm, I hope nobody's going to get annoyed if I ask this.....

My baby is only 4 months and already I've got outgrown clothes coming out of my ears. So I'm thinking of arranging a day where mums (or dads) in my area can swap baby clothes. But I don't want to go ahead if it's something people don't want to do anymore these days!

Do you think swapping baby clothes is a good idea or would you not want somebody else's stuff? And would you be bothered to go if you had to drop off the things you were getting rid of a few days in advance AS WELL as turning up on the day to 'shop'?

MamaGLovesMe Tue 29-Jul-08 16:10:26

Plenty of people on here do swaps and/or sell outgrown baby clothes.

Not sure how it would work in RL though. How would you make sure it was fair? What if someone brought one thing and took 10?

Just before I read your post I was thinking about sorting out some of Ds's old clothes so....???

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 16:17:20

I love getting / giving / lending outgrown stuff
but either it's an informal arrangement with actual friends or family or a commercial transaction (charity shops, NCT nearly-news etc)

not sure a combination of both would work

reban Tue 29-Jul-08 16:45:40

I have always tried to pass on outgrown clothes to friends and family with younger children and i receive outgrown clothes from other friends and family members with older children. It works very well and i often find im receiving and giving away clothes that have hardly evr been worn so still in very good condition. It also saves a fortune.
Having said that i think it would be hard to arrange on a larger scale because you would have to trust everyone to bring usable stuff and only take a fair amount or literaly check everything and everyone coming in and going out!

Wafflesnaffler Tue 29-Jul-08 19:53:47

Well MamaGLovesMe, I've seen that some big swaps have happened in London (for designer clothes though), and the way they do it is that you bring your stuff and are given points depending on what it is, then you can 'spend' the points on other stuff. So it's fair. And things below a certain standard aren't accepted.

But it does mean that people have to drop their stuff off in advance so it can be sorted, and then turn up on the day to spend the points. But we have a hall we could hold it at which is right next to the pre-school and primary schools in my area so was thinking people might not mind having to drop in advance as well as come on the day (as lots of them have to go past there twice a day anyway!).

angel1976 Tue 29-Jul-08 20:57:01

Hi wafflesnaffler, I will be keen if you are in London! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now