Talk

Advanced search

ARGH! Need help with nappies!

(16 Posts)
mamadiva Tue 29-Jul-08 09:55:57

2YO DS has quite bad eczemaand every disposable nappy I use makes it flare up.

He's allergic to the balm that's in Huggies, pampers are just crap, Lidl, Boots and Tesco nappies are good but after maybe 2 weeks he breaks out with everyone of them!

I know he's 2 but I don't think he's ready for potty training yet so I need to find a good nappy but don't know if it's worthwhile getting reusables. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm going out of my mind!!!

jooseyfruit Tue 29-Jul-08 10:01:25

have you tried the nature babycare ones, they smell less chemically than others, but are expensive. you can get them at boots. reusables are fab but expensive initially, have you thought about buying a few second hand? here.

mamadiva Tue 29-Jul-08 10:13:25

Yeay the only thing that uts me off reusables is the price that's why I didn't go with them initially but when I think of the money I've spent I might as well have.

Haven't used the naturecare nappies but have heard they are not very absorbant and leak quite a bit.

Does anyone know which reusables would be best for a 2YO boy? And what kind of accessories do you need? Can you use soap powder to wash them, I always use Surcare? Sorry fr all questions

mamadiva Tue 29-Jul-08 10:27:20

Help anyone? LOL

I am a cloth nappy addict, but at 2 I wouldn't bother starting.

I think naturecare nappies are crap.

But Moltex Oko are fantastic, you can get them (or a free sample) from spirt of nature on line. (can't link, sorry)

I have used them several times, they don't even leak newborn poo, and have no nasties in.

Good luck

mrsbabookaloo Tue 29-Jul-08 10:35:10

I used the nature baby care ones and didn't find they leaked. Also used Moltex Oko, which you can get in some chemists, and online. They are more expensive; ethical superstore is the cheapest place to buy.

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/

HTH

mamadiva Tue 29-Jul-08 10:39:51

At a tenner a bag I might be better buying reusables! Thanks though all advice is good.

It depends how close to potty training he is?

You could take advantage of the good weather and leave him nappy free.

Unless you want to use terries, which are fantastic, but lots of people are put off by the faff, you will be spending about a tenner on each reusable nappy.

Only really worth it if you think you will use them for more lo's, hence my recomendation for Moltex.

mamadiva Tue 29-Jul-08 10:52:25

Aaah. He isn't showing signs of being ready at all won't even sit on potty! He turned to at the end of June anyone know if this is late?

No not late at all, My ds was pottied by two, but he'd always been in cloth and it does tend to be easier then.

But no I have friends with lo's (esp. boys) in nappies at 3 or 4.

(not trying to scare you) grin

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 29-Jul-08 11:16:57

It might e worth contacting Surestart. If you're lucky and live in the right area they do a reusable nappy hire service for a £5 refundable deposit. Also National Childbirth Trust nearly new sales, and even ebay are good if you don't mind buying secondhand.
I have heard cloth nappies are good pre-toilet training as the child gets used to the 'wet' feeling.

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 11:20:29

ebay won't list secondhand nappies any more - try www.usednappies.co.uk

tutu100 Tue 29-Jul-08 11:21:33

I used Moltex when my ds developed a reaction to other mainstream dispo nappies and found them very good - they were worth paying the extra money for.

However I did use reusables as well. You can always find some very good deals on the internet. Once my ds was 2 we were using a mix of Motherease sandy's and Fuzzi Bunz which I stuffed with terry nappies and prefolds. I only had 4 Fuzzis. They dried really quickly so I just washed them every night (had loads more stuffing though).

How I looked at it was that I was spending at least £20 a month on dispos so in 3 months the reusables had paid for themselves.
FWIW my DS potty trained at 2.4, but we then used the nappies for a few more months at night.

I have kept the nappies for my next ds, but you could always look on it that ou can recoup some money on reusables if you sell them once you are finished with them.

savoycabbage Tue 29-Jul-08 11:26:04

Some local councils will give you back some of the money you spend on washable nappies so it might be worth trying to find out if yours does.

Found out about it here

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/4108382.stm

juuule Tue 29-Jul-08 11:39:19

Mamadiva, don't think that your ds is late potty training. My dd was in reusables from 8w and didn't come out of nappies until 3y4m when she just decided she didn't need them any more. 2 days later she was reliably dry and never used a potty at all.

sophiewd Tue 29-Jul-08 11:41:52

Try www.soorganic.com for eco friendly disposables, you get trial pack and can chosse which one is best for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now