Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How often do you buy toys?

(27 Posts)
FeelingDeviant Tue 29-Jul-08 09:22:54

It just seems so easy every time I want my now 14 month DD to have something (like a toy kitchen), to just go and buy it for her.
But, DH says that she should only get toys at Christmas and birthday (she's an early summer baby). Though deep down I know DH is right, I'm also thinking that toys are beneficial for her development so no point in depriving her or myself of the pleasure in watching her play ...

Just wondered what all you other MNetters do.

crokky Tue 29-Jul-08 09:24:19

I buy toys whenever I feel like it. My DS loves them, they occupy him for ages. I think they are nice grin.

No point in having 10 toys at Christmas from assorted family and friends and none the rest of the time.

A new toy is a fabulous distraction for a toddelr

davidtennantsmistress Tue 29-Jul-08 09:26:30

xmas, birthdays for big ones,

random £1 shop ones when I have the spare cash or DS has been particularly good.

sometimes some summer toys (or used to) around august time if he's been good as his birthday's not long after xmas.

mamadiva Tue 29-Jul-08 09:27:14

I AM SO GLAD IT'S NOT JUST ME!!!

I try to stick to birthday and christmas as DS is 2YO was born 26th June so basically every 6 months, well that's what it should be, but if I see something and I have the cash I will buy it whether or not he needs it. He's 32 and as a result am having to sell all the toys he doesn't play with because they take up to much room!

I must say though if I do buy things inbetween it's not something big, it's like another toy car or some books things like that.

cupcake78 Tue 29-Jul-08 09:36:22

Same here Birthday and Christmas but when he is starting to get bored with some of his old toys I will by 1 or 2 more just to add interest. Big toys I don't buy, wish I could sometimes as they look so much fun.

davidtennantsmistress Tue 29-Jul-08 09:37:14

see I rotate his toys as well - keep some back then give them back to him every 6 months or so. and take others away again.

Gateau Tue 29-Jul-08 09:38:15

Whenever I feel like it. Although I'm only talking toys that are around or under a tenner. The 'big' presents wait until Christmas and birthdays.

crokky Tue 29-Jul-08 09:38:44

yesterday I bought him a chunky book for £1. He is currently playing with it, still thrilled.

In fact, on his birthday, I didn't get him much as my family had bought stuff and I get him stuff when I feel like it anyway.

Rachmumoftwo Tue 29-Jul-08 09:53:54

As they get older, if they already have every toy you think they need, it gets harder to buy for birthdays and Christmas.

I found that buying things before they were developmentally ready for them meant that by the time they could get the full benefit of the toy, they were bored of it.

Now I buy for birthdays and Christmas, with the odd treat for good behaviour.

Dynamicnanny Tue 29-Jul-08 16:22:42

" He's 32 and as a result am having to sell all the toys he doesn't play with because they take up to much room! "

Mamadiva who's 32? You're son?? grin

candyfluff Tue 29-Jul-08 18:06:42

mostly we stick to birthdays and christmas but then we do let them have the odd small toy or magazines

sheepgomeep Tue 29-Jul-08 18:22:20

same as candyfluff

we are skint anyway and can't afford toys all the time.

sometimes go to car boots and pick up toys etc dd1 loves books and you can always get them second hand.

I firmly believe in not spoiling children with toys all the time but thats just me and I'm old fashioned maybe

mrsgboring Tue 29-Jul-08 18:24:49

I buy secondhand and buy when I see something of good play value available for a good price.

I always have a mental list of the next things I'm on the lookout for and will not hesitate to get those if I see them (a kitchen in a charity shop was a case in point). Currently would always buy Lego, K'nex or Brio if I saw it at a bearable price.

We have six monthly NCT sales (and a couple of other local sales which fall at the same time) so my big buying period is sale time - one falls just before DS's birthday and I also save from this one for Christmas. The other is in the early spring and it's a bit of a bonanza.

We have an extra birthday in our family because I had a stillborn DD, so we buy toys and books for DS (and would for any other DCs if/when we have more) to celebrate her birthday. I take it as a complete excuse to go mad - it is like Christmas in high summer.

That said, I think we may be over the peak of the buying period. DS is 2.9 and has most preschool type toys that I can imagine (for NOW grin) so it may well calm down a bit now.

I can never resist a bit of Lego though, and already planning to start a Playmobil collection. i am going to wait till birthday for that. New toys it's only Christmas and birthdays (and sometimes holidays)

Tapster Tue 29-Jul-08 19:25:48

If you are a full time SAHM I find you need to buy new toys to preserve your own sanity. DD 20 months and found she hardly played with any of her first birthday presents, she prefers playdoh, painting etc.. and doesn't really play with toys as such. Waiting for her 2nd birthday to get her a big toy kitchen though.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 29-Jul-08 19:31:36

I buy stuff as and when, but big stuff is for birthdays/Christmas, DS is just about to turn two (on Thursday actually, preserve me from the tide of toys!).

I look out for secondhand/charity shop stuff, our local pound shop is sometimes frequented. In general I don't buy loads of stuff, but do splurge on books as I love them myself.

lizinthesticks Tue 29-Jul-08 19:54:16

If this weather's alright we'll probably go to the local carboot once every 2 weeks or so. It's unusual that we come back empty handed. A fiver can get a shitload of stuff - books, dvds, videos, toys of all descriptions.

jafina Tue 29-Jul-08 20:02:56

I tend to buy toys at the longer school holidays for mine (to keep them out of my hair!!) but when they were little I would buy something whenever I had a chance to go shopping, maybe once a month?

Elkat Tue 29-Jul-08 21:14:39

Strictly birthdays and Christmas only. That said, when my mum comes back from holiday, she will often bring back a little gift for my DDs (under a tenner). I will buy books as a treat throughout the year, that is my exception. Also, when we go on holiday my DDs are often given some money, and then they can visit a toy shop and choose something they like.

That said, my family go mad at Christmas and they get loads. So I box a load of it up and we take trips to the Christmas box throughout the year and get things out as and when we need them (So I often ask for some things a bit too old for her that she can get out in 6 months time or so). Currently, my DD has still got 4 toys left in her box, which I will get out over the summer holiday (she'll choose which one she wants to get out) at intervals and play with them over the summer. I'll start saving stuff in boxes again after her birthday in Nov. Any items I buy for her now will be hidden away until her birthday or Christmas.

KerryMum Tue 29-Jul-08 21:15:42

too much as I have no money.

and yet my two boys manage to be spoiled rotten. hmm

MuffinMclay Tue 29-Jul-08 21:35:10

Now and again, but not very often, for ds1 (2.3 years). Big toys only for Christmas or birthdays (works well as they're months apart). My weakness is books - I buy those for him (and me) all the time.

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 29-Jul-08 22:02:58

Whenever I fancy, which is pretty much most weeks smile

I wouldnt wait and only have new things at xmas and birthdays so fairs fair - haha see a woman can always justify her retail therapy wink

Roboshua Tue 29-Jul-08 23:00:25

When they are babies/little whenever they 'need' something. They develop so fast when they are tiny that waiting until birthdays and Christmas is just a bit too long. having said that now they are older (4 & 8) I am trying wean them of this and give them pocket money so they can save up for toys between birthdays and Christmas.

Having said all that I have vowed never to deny them books and will often let them loose in Waterstones so it balances out.

FeelingDeviant Wed 30-Jul-08 08:06:17

love the idea of a Christmas box.
would work nicely if bought a big toy in sale and could stash it away for future treat

mamadiva Wed 30-Jul-08 08:11:32

psml no I'm 21 so would be shocked if my son was 32

He's 2 random 3 there LOL.

Shoegazer Wed 30-Jul-08 21:09:19

Books are my weakness too, I buy lots of books although I try to get secondhand from car boot too. I don't exactly limit myself in buying toys but I try to put some away for christmas and birthdays if I see something I know she would like. Buying toys is my retail therapy, but I don't think that having lots of toys spoil a child its getting whatever you want when you want it and not learning to say thank you, not sharing and not passing on what you have finished with to someone who would appreciate it or needs it that spoils a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now