Talk

Advanced search

what age to start sleepovers

(8 Posts)
crazedupmom Mon 28-Jul-08 23:39:28

I am thinking of having one my ds's mates from school on a sleepover during the holidays.
They are both 7 and I am now wondering if 7 is perhaps still a bit young for this.
What do others think, do you think 7 is too young for sleepovers.
Will my ds's friends mum think I am crazy for suggesting it.

zaphod Tue 29-Jul-08 00:55:09

No, I don't think it's too young. Ds3 who is 6 is currently on a sleepover. I think it depends a lot on the individual child though.

katiepotatie Tue 29-Jul-08 00:58:40

If all the children involved are happy to be away from home then it should be fine.

juuule Tue 29-Jul-08 08:24:49

Depends on the child and depends on the parents.

I have a rough rule of no sleepovers until secondary school age unless a birthday/special occasion/relative and I know the parents.

MamaG Tue 29-Jul-08 08:33:50

My DD is 9 next week and had her first one on Friday

fruitful Tue 29-Jul-08 12:28:13

Would it be up to the mate's mum to decide if her ds is ready? It's easier to be the one having a friend to stay than to be the one sleeping somewhere else.

One of my friends (and her dd) is keen for my dd to go on a sleepover. I don't think my dd (6) is ready - she still wakes in the night and wants me! Plus after an afternoon & evening with said friend her behaviour goes off the planet so heaven knows what she'd be like after a whole night.

seeker Tue 29-Jul-08 12:33:12

Ds did his first at 4 and had a fab time. I still have to pick dd up at midnight 70% of the time and she's 12!

LollipopViolet Tue 29-Jul-08 20:06:26

As others have said, I think it depends on the child. From my perspective (ie: not a parent)I think there are a few things to consider. The first is obviously if the other child and their parents are comfortable with them being away from home. Another is, does your child turn into a tornado of hyperactivity when said friend is about? And also, are you prepared for the aftermath if all goes well? With this I'm talking about (possibly, as said I can only go on my experiences here) an over-tired child, or worse, 2 over-tired children.

I only started going on sleepovers at 11, and after 2 or 3 my mum put her foot down and said, "no more". Why? Because I never slept at them, and I was (still am!) awful when I've not had enough sleep. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now