Talk

Advanced search

Nightmares in 2 year old, advice please?!

(4 Posts)
ChirpyGirl Sun 27-Jul-08 19:27:42

DD1 is 2.5 and for some random reason is convinced that Noonoo from Teletubbies is 'tickling her toes' at night.

She hasn't watched teletubbies in months so I dont know where it has come form, and she was terrified of the hoover but has calmed down enough to be in the same room as it.

She gets hysterical falling asleep at night and keeps asking if he will stay in Teletubbyland tonight. Then she wakes about midnight and comes into our room or wails until one of us goes and comforts her.
Last night she had to search the whole room and then wouldn't calm down until I got into bed with her. (She shares a room with DD2 which is particularly unhelpful when she is loud!)

Currently we have phoned Noonoo, DH has emailed him and she has a sign in her room telling him he isn't allowed and to go away....bit of overkill possibly but she is genuinely frightened

Any other ideas? And anyone know how long is this likely to last?

choufleur Sun 27-Jul-08 19:53:34

ds is scared of bears so we put all of his bears in my car and i drove them away so that couldn't 'get him'

ChirpyGirl Sun 27-Jul-08 19:59:13

We did have a blow up Noonoo free from a magazine so last week (oh yes, it's been going on that long) DD1 threw him down teh stairs and then I cut him into tiny pieces and we put him in the bin.

She had great fun dancing around the bin singing
'I cut Noo-noo, I cut you, haha',
like the world's smallest sociopath grin

Worked for 1 night, then back to this.

Problem I have is that if she goes quietly to DH's side of the bed he will (in his sleep) let her climb in and go to sleep without me realising, so I have to deal with her when his alarm goes off at 6! He doesn't even realise he has done it, he wakes at 6 and says 'shit, how did she get here' when she is clearly on his side of the bed in his arms!

RuthT Sun 27-Jul-08 20:12:41

My little one goes through phases of this. The first time she was prob about 2.25 and it was dragons. Didn't even think she knew about them.

I tried the dragons are nice approach but it didn't work. In the end we got a light (then a wand when this ran out) and told them to shoo, shouting loudly. She did the same and then asked the fairies to make sure they didn't come back.

It did stop after a couple of night of this.

However, it has repeated but with monsters - same drill and went again.

Just checked the baby whisperer and she says they are most likely to occur in the second half of the night. The child is awake when you go in and you soothe them lie with them if you need to but don't take them into your bed. Try to find out what is scaring them of triggering it during the day and avoid it. Stick to regular bedtimes and wind down routine. Consider giving a night light.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now