Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you let your 3-4 year old wander round naked in your street /drive way?

(78 Posts)
Poppychick Sat 26-Jul-08 17:23:14

Just curious really. Our neighbours let their DD wander about on hot days naked round their and their neighbour's drive on the pavement at the front of their house. They also let her stand in the front window naked.

I don't believe my kids should be ashamed of their bodies but wouldn't let them do this. It seems inappropriate to me. It could put them at risk and make others feel uncomfortable.

What do others think? Am I being obsessive?

Flllight Sat 26-Jul-08 17:27:04

Er, no I don't think you're being obsessive - it's a tricky one as she should be free to wander about nude in her own space, and is only a little child - but my son used to occasionally run off down the road with no pants on, well quite often actually blush and some people commented that he shouldn't. I was always very embarrassed but he was like a human whirlwind, still is - prone to running off anyway. He has no shame smile

Now I try and insist that he wears pants at least if he is even in the garden, as it is overlooked by lots of windows - including a residential rehab unit next door for psychiatric patients. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or should, but I try to keep him fairly modest.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 26-Jul-08 17:27:44

in the drive, garden, house etc, yes.
walk up the street (ie going out), no.

Flllight Sat 26-Jul-08 17:28:37

I did feel a little bit cross with people who got really upset or overly concerned about it, as i felt they were being a little OTT - children do not care if they are naked at that age, or they wouldn't do it. They shouldn't be programmed into thinking it is shameful. Just that it isn't maybe a very wise thing to allow in this society sad

Blu Sat 26-Jul-08 17:29:53

yes, probably.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 26-Jul-08 17:31:45

though actually, I would rather they kept a t-shirt on so they don't burn. I have no inappropriateness worries about it, at all.

Mercy Sat 26-Jul-08 17:34:17

Street no, everywhere else yes.

It could put them at risk of what though?

lizinthesticks Sat 26-Jul-08 17:35:01

Me neither. Just sun burn.

Otherwise, it's everyone else's problem.

Poppychick Sat 26-Jul-08 17:37:43

Risk of being watched for the wrong reasons.

People taking photographs / making videos of them.

ie. paedophiles

Flllight Sat 26-Jul-08 17:39:41

Bear in mind they may not 'let' her stand in the window naked, also...Ds used to climb into our bay regularly and it would have been a constant battle to stop him, nevertheless one which I probably should have fought.

I had several friends/neighbours mention it and say they felt uncomfortable about it - that was an awful feeling. There was actually a tall hedge in front of the window which made me wonder how hard people were actually looking, in order to gather their grounds for complaint. hmm

I'm glad we don't live there any more.

stitch Sat 26-Jul-08 17:40:20

no

NotQuiteCockney Sat 26-Jul-08 17:41:19

Presumably everyone's always at risk of being watched for the wrong reasons ... I wouldn't worry about this.

Poppychick Sat 26-Jul-08 17:41:48

Oh yeh I'mn sure the window thing you are right but clearly they're okay with the idea as they accompany her at the front of the house. BTW am not thinking of complaining! Just curious.

Poppychick Sat 26-Jul-08 17:42:39

Yes but clearly more at risk if they are naked.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 26-Jul-08 17:42:40

do THEY accompany her naked?

misdee Sat 26-Jul-08 17:43:26

i dont let dd3 run around in public naked. she just does!

dd1+2 have also danced naked in the windows, i didnt know til lmy neighbours told me.

belgo Sat 26-Jul-08 17:44:08

lol misdee - same here!

Poppychick Sat 26-Jul-08 17:44:21

grin

only on special occasions Cs

Flllight Sat 26-Jul-08 17:45:19

I wasn't trying to suggest you were like my old neighbours Poppy smile

unknownrebelbang Sat 26-Jul-08 17:45:53

Mine are older, but yes I would have done.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 26-Jul-08 17:47:56

my one year old is often naked in public but unless any one knows of a way i can strap her clothes onto her i have little choice in the matter.

my four year old has fortunately grown out of this stage now and gets herself dressed each morning before she comes downstairs but this is only recent before that she would answer the door to the teaman naked but i didnt permit her to go utside naked.

i wouldnt have a problem with any other naked children being outside though i do think you are being a little obbesessive

Poppychick Sat 26-Jul-08 17:49:20

I don't have a problem with them being naked it's just that if they were my kids I would have a problem!

misdee Sat 26-Jul-08 17:51:01

i dont have a problem with my kids being naked.

justaboutagrownup Sat 26-Jul-08 17:51:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StealthPolarBear Sat 26-Jul-08 17:53:52

no, definitely not, sunburn!
Other than that I wouldn't have a problem with it I don't think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now