Talk

Advanced search

3 Year old making himself sick?

(4 Posts)
Xavielli Sat 26-Jul-08 13:19:39

Hey guys.

My Son is 3 and a half and has always been a really good eater. Well up Until about 6 months ago, he started refusing to eat anything that i cooked for him with the exception of Spag Bol, home made burgers, things like that. Over this last week however when I try and get him to eat a little of something different he will wretch. It does seem like he is making himself sick. I really dont know what to do tho incase he isnt. And I dont know how to handle it if he is!! Please help.

girliefriend Sat 26-Jul-08 21:08:15

hello sounds like he is developing a bit of a food phobia am def not an expert but speaking as someone who was a very fussy eater as a child! I would go with it let him eat what he feels happy eating and don't push it. If he realsies that this is going to be a big deal it will esculate IMO. Keep mealtimes really relaxed, don't comment if he doesn't eat anything and trust in him that he will eat when he is hungry and will not let himself starve. Get him involved as much as possible in cooking and let him see how food is prepared, talk to him about where food comes from. As a child I would gag if someone tried to make me eat something I didn't want to eat and it became a away of controlling situations, it was not good as food became a battle ground. If my ma and pa had followed the above advice I think it would of been different! Good luck! XxX

Xavielli Sun 27-Jul-08 11:00:08

Thankyou I will try and relax a bit about it.

DancingMamaWithBabes Sun 27-Jul-08 20:34:55

ds1 had an intolerance to dairy, but not severe, he could take dairy in processed forms but not fresh, but he soon thought that if he didn't like something he would react in the same way, e.g gag, be a bit sick, this was around the same age.

I also say do not react, relax a lot, I understand how worrying/frustrating it can get. We applied the this is breakfast, dinner, tea statement, he ate what he wanted, was still given a pudding, then when it came to him complaining of hunger not long after I'd say that he could wait until snack or tea time and maybe he could have eaten more at the last meal (but being very careful not to appear too critical) within weeks I noticed he would start to eat more and be more daring with new tastes. Every so often even now at 5 he goes through fussy stages but find not to react and the less fuss made is better, and again within a week or two he seems to come out of the fussy stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now