Talk

Advanced search

Are there other people out there whose dc seems to be permanently ill or is it just me - need tips on how to cope, what to do, starting to feel at end of tether...

(8 Posts)
cookiemonstress Sat 26-Jul-08 12:45:32

Have posted a couple times on this subject over last six months and am now getting to the point where the constant illness (or what feels like) is really getting me down.

Have 2 dc (3.5 and 20 m).. both in nursery 3 days a week (not consecutive unfortunately). DD1 was in nursery from 6 months to 20 months and then from Jan this year. DD2 14 months when she started. Prior to them starting, both had very bad dose of chicken pox. The recovery coincided with the start of nursery. Ever since then it feels like we have been stricken with constant viruses and illnesses including multiple tummy bugs, colds, hand,foot and mouth, random temperatures etc.. Not exageration, one of us is ill almost every week and with comparison to friends etc, it's almost become a joke (if only I could see the funny side)

There are a number of factors behind this situation for me. Firstly I am not the world's most natural when dealing with illness (used to have big vomiting phobia which is now much better thanks to hypnotherapy).. I can cope but inside find it very stressful and my anxiety levels rocket and I find it hard to eat and sleep and relax. Secondly there is the guilt, I am a working mum and can't help but feel that if they weren't in nursery they would be healthier. They have a long day (we leave the house at 7.30 am and get back around 6.30pm) and I wonder if our immune systems just aren't getting the opportunity to recover. There is also the guilt to my team when i can't make it into the office because the dc are ill. And thirdly there is exhaustion and horrible sinking feeling that I get when I pick up the girls on a friday (it almost always seems to start on a friday) and one of them is ill, just at the point of the week when we are the most knackered.

So what to do? Firstly looking for tips, advice from anyone in same position, reassurance it will get better! As I type DD1 asleep on sofa with temp so am going out this afternoon to get us all some vitamins and immune supplements. DC moving to nursery closer to home in sept and hoping their week becomes less hectic (I work 4 days, they do 3 days in nursery, 1 day with in-laws which really seems to exhaust them)...

I know that illness is part of childhood but this seems excessive and right now I feel so anxious and worn out with it that I could cry..... I was really hoping that with the summer it would reduce but this doesn't seem to be the case. I should point out that we are generally a healthy family, rarely ill but since the girls I have had more doses of illness than I have ever had.

girliefriend Sat 26-Jul-08 21:00:52

Hello you have my sympathies, my dd went through a phase where she literally seemed to be ill for about 6 months (from about 18 months), started with terrible gastroenteritis and then pretty much everything else, ear infections, viruses, colds, german measles - you name it! Have come out the other side of it now thank god but at the time it felt never ending and I felt so guilty about work and having to take time off or having to palm dd off onto various relatives. It has now got better dd 2 and a half apart from the usual coughs and colds. At least if they get lots of bugs now they should have an super immune system later on! Thats what I keep telling myself anyway!!! XxX

lisasimpson Sat 26-Jul-08 21:10:58

it's true about the immunity later on, both my five year old and two year old were constantly getting 'viruses' hand, foot and mouth and conjunctivitis as a result of nursery. They are both very resilient now thanks to it but it was crap at the time constantly having to take time off work. It does get better, hang in there.

cookiemonstress Sun 27-Jul-08 19:03:03

Thanks for the support. I know it has to get better, I just hope then end is in sight! DD1 now has urine and ear infection. Never seen her so poorly. Feel so sad for her..

motherinferior Sun 27-Jul-08 19:05:32

Oh, you poor love.

Everyone goes through phases of this, really they do. I am so sorry it's hitting you at the moment.

posieflump Sun 27-Jul-08 19:08:43

yes me too
no faily near by to help out and I'm beginning to worry about how much time I've had to take at short notice from work to pick up 21 month dd who keeps catching anything going
also at the drop of a hat nursery will phone, she had a temp of over 100, but when I got there she seemed fine, got home and she was the life and soul so ws a but angry about that

posieflump Sun 27-Jul-08 19:08:54

family

WilfSell Sun 27-Jul-08 19:10:30

If it is any consolation, my 3 have been like this too - the eldest is now strong as a horse because of his well-tested immune system. Kids who don't go to nursery so much just have to go through it when they get to school...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now