Talk

Advanced search

baby being really sick

(17 Posts)
hollygiz1 Fri 25-Jul-08 08:13:21

my baby is 1 month today, she is on 6ounce every 4 to 5 hours sometimes 3 through day, last two days after 1 of her feeds she has sicked the whole bottle up which was awful to watch, i changed her nappy after the feed and she had abit of a kick could this have something to do with it? just abit worried ? she usually is abit sick after feeds but this was the whole bottle?

littlelapin Fri 25-Jul-08 08:16:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelapin Fri 25-Jul-08 08:16:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Morloth Fri 25-Jul-08 08:27:53

Maybe try to keep her upright for at least 15 mins or so after a feed, also try breaking the bottle. Boy was breastfed, but I would do one boob, get up, change the bum - usually to wake him up! and pop him on the other boob, then would keep him upright for a while after finishing, just seemed a bit easier on his tummy.

Also DS would occasionally do a HUGE vomit but still be quite happy, doc said not too worry too much if he is well otherwise and still looks like gaining a bit of weight.

hollygiz1 Fri 25-Jul-08 10:10:39

thanks was just not nice to see, as i think i might be feeding too much but she wants it so what do i do?

wasabipeanut Fri 25-Jul-08 10:13:08

I think the guideline is, if they bring up 2 complete feeds you take them to the GP.

I'm sure she's ok but when they're that teeny its always best to be on the safe side and check.

LIZS Fri 25-Jul-08 10:13:58

keep ehr upright for a while after each feed. 6oz is quite a lot at once consioderign her tummy is the size of her fist. Perhaps reduce the amount and put another feed in if she needs it. It always looks loads more than it is coming back !

Morloth Fri 25-Jul-08 11:24:31

Maybe spread the feeds out a bit more, with a bit less at each feed?

Ledodgy Fri 25-Jul-08 11:28:12

It may be the type of formula you're using as well. We had this with ds1 and 2 and Aptimil easy digest was fab.

Ledodgy Fri 25-Jul-08 11:29:00

Also I don't know which one your using atm but I found SMA to be the worst for refuxy babies.

Chooster Fri 25-Jul-08 13:43:29

My DS (now 1) was quite refluxy and I held him upright after feeding him for about 20mins or so. He would also grumble as if in pain, does DD do this? He would often throw up a full feed a day and its not only awful to see, but can be worrying. He has slowly grown out of this but even now, if he is ill or chokes on a lump in his food, he will be sick. It doesn't bother him though, just messy smile. The doctors have said that it will just slowly get better as he grows and his body strengthens.

Orissiah Fri 25-Jul-08 16:55:27

At one month, 6 oz could be alot to drink in one go. Perhaps feed 4 oz every 3 hours or something like that? O

champagneandroses Fri 25-Jul-08 21:37:11

Hiya my ds has just been diagnosed with reflux hes 18 weeks. He was throwing up quite a lot of his feeds despite me keeping him upright. Hes been prescribed infant gavison and so far its helped a lot.

Before you go to docs put some milk in bottle and although this sounds mad tip it onto work surface or floor, that way you can get used to measuring how much came back out by the size of the splash, just try it with about two ounces youd be suprised how much that spreads and looks like a lot more than it is.

I thought my ds was bringing up a lot more before i tried this, and when he went to docs i was able to tell him that approx 3 ozs came back out an ounce at a time over the space of 2 hours, makes it easier for them to gauge how bad the reflux is.

I also have started giving him an ounce less in his bottles and he hasnt noticed, even though he used to drain them, hes still gaining weight well.

If gaviscon doesnt work they can prescribe sma stay down milk which is quite effective

hope this helps

hollygiz1 Sat 26-Jul-08 10:41:15

is it ok to just change there milk then?she is on cow & gate

madmouse Sat 26-Jul-08 12:27:31

try aptamil or sma. It is normal to try different brands until you find one thatlo agrees with best.

champagneandroses Sat 26-Jul-08 16:32:34

Yes its ok to change the milk on docs orders. My dd whos now 3 had to swap milk from cow &gate to sma wysoy because she was allergic to milk. We dont know yet if ds needs to change, got another few days of the gaviscon.

madmouse Mon 28-Jul-08 14:54:06

unless the doctor has told you which brand to use you really do not need doctors orders to change it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now