Talk

Advanced search

How would you handle a criticing sister

(16 Posts)
bigboydiditandranaway Thu 24-Jul-08 15:46:07

She is childless and doesn't want any children but always has to pass some critical comment about how i'm bringing up dc. it isn't only about dc though it's about anything in my life she just feels free to comment on.

I don't pass critical comments on things going on in her life.

Does anyone else have this problem with childless brothers/sisters?

itati Thu 24-Jul-08 15:49:15

Just ignore her.

itati Thu 24-Jul-08 15:49:38

She can only annoy you if you let her.

thebecster Thu 24-Jul-08 15:50:40

Try printing out this thread and saying 'Oh this will make you laugh, it had me rolling on the floor, it's so true about the things childless people say'

She might just laugh politely and take note. Of course she might get dreadfully offended - I don't know your sister. Mine would rather die than admit she'd made an idiot of herself!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 24-Jul-08 15:51:29

do you have two sisters? i think i may be your other sister! dont worry about she does the same to me. just lose your temper and her she better not venture outside when are anyhwere near her or she will not be walking home angry

just laugh at her. thats what i do to mine and tell her that when she changes her mind and decides she does want children you will remember everything she said so heaven helps her if she even so much as sniffs a glass of wine while she is pg and as for going out well what is the point in having children if you cant be bothered to look after them?

itati Thu 24-Jul-08 15:54:56

Your 4th sentence doesn't make any sense, SSSSBTSS.

ThatBigGermanPrison Thu 24-Jul-08 15:56:56

yes, I do and I tell them to shut the fuck up until they have some life experience. And yes, I do say it with my mouth, and not in my head - but we are not a well suppressed family.

beanieb Thu 24-Jul-08 15:58:12

depends what the criticism is. If she's saying stuff like 'stop swinging your child around by the ears' then fair enough grin

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 24-Jul-08 16:05:21

sorry what i meant is that when my sister changes her mind and decides she does want children while she is pg i am going to repeat everything she said/says to me back to her.

"wine, you are drinking a glass of wine? do you know how bad that is?" (a small glass on new years eve)
"babysit for you? but why? if didnt want to look after your baby you should never have had one"
"cant you tell her not to play with the fire, it would be easier than getting up to take her away from it all the time"

itati Thu 24-Jul-08 16:09:25

just lose your temper and her she better not venture outside when are anyhwere near her or she will not be walking home

^^^ That was what I meant

Cies Thu 24-Jul-08 16:13:11

Don't know. But probably ignoring her is the best option.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 24-Jul-08 16:19:40

oh sorry! at xmas when i was pg with dd2 she had a go at me for drinking a small glass of wine and told me that dd1 had behavioral problems because i drank whilest pg, again a small glass of wine this time for a birthday celebration.

later she came into a pub i was in with dh and because i was hormonal and am already bad tempered, when she started sniffing my oj to see if it was alcholic i told dh that he had better remove her from my sight and i then told her to watch her back when she leaves the pub blush stopped her making any comments on what i was eating and drinking though grin

TheCrackFox Thu 24-Jul-08 16:56:26

If that was my sister I would have told her to fuck off. Having said that, she is probably jealous of you so just try to ignore her.

bigboydiditandranaway Fri 25-Jul-08 08:19:34

I have been ignoring her but it does get quite wearing, to the point of limiting time spent with her and certainly not on my own or without dh and dreading seeing her.

To be honest she has been like this before dc came along but it didn't seem to bother me so much then, but i just don't have the patience to listen to her crap, so just ignore her when she starts.

Maybe she is jealous, i just feel like she always judging me and looking down on my lifesad

Thanks for your messagessmile

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 25-Jul-08 11:37:05

hmm is she a younger sister? my sister is and i am sure it jelousy not that i have children and she doesnt because she had always said that she doesnt think she would cope well as a mum but she is jelous that she is not the baby of the family any more iyswim?

i think things changed when my sister realised how much she was upseting me so try talking to her, hopefully before it gets to the point where you are telling her she will be needing an ambulance to get home in if she says one more thing to you grin

bigboydiditandranaway Fri 25-Jul-08 20:15:53

Shesells yes she is younger, i suppose it could be because she's not the youngest aswell(a bit bizarre though as she's in her 30's!!!)

I don't really feel as if i can talk to her to be honest as she can be quite argumentative and defensive.

I suppose i've found that limiting the time i do spend with her the easiest way to cope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now