Talk

Advanced search

How many playdates do people have lined up for the holidays?

(28 Posts)
posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 12:45:40

Just wondered. I have the possibility of a couple but heard people arranging loads today on the last day of term.
What are you lot doing?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 23-Jul-08 12:48:49

just taking it as it comes but dd is 8 so we have a good network.

FioFio Wed 23-Jul-08 12:49:36

Message withdrawn

FioFio Wed 23-Jul-08 12:49:53

Message withdrawn

hockeypuck Wed 23-Jul-08 12:50:11

Setting them up on an ad hoc basis. Ideally two a week here for DD (5) in the hope that she goes off for 2 a week too - we're not going away this summer and I need some time off! DS still sleeps in the afternoon so it's nice for her to get a chance to go out and have fun then.

She had a whole day at a friends house on Monday, we had a friend here all day yesterday. Next Thursday she is going to her boyfriends house for a sleepover! (he is the son of DD's godmother) and she can sleep in the bottom bunk - she is unbelievably excited!

RubberDuck Wed 23-Jul-08 12:50:43

None as yet but I do have a few phone numbers if things get desperate. TBH we're in the enviable position of having communal space out the front for kids to play, so most playing is done informally and organised amongst themselves (my dses are 7 and 4) so less input is needed from me anyway.

posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 12:51:12

well at least you have 3 boked Fio - I just have the possibility of 2 - as in 'i'm away half the hols but give me your number and I'll call you', suspect they won't!

filthymindedvixen Wed 23-Jul-08 12:53:05

none. I hate the word playdate (irrational I know) Whatever happened to asking someone round for tea/to play?? We will ring up ad hoc when we want to and our friends do the same.
[grumpy old woman]

lexcat Wed 23-Jul-08 12:55:23

None but they get sorted as the hoilday goes past. Local toddler group meet very week at each other house (weather perrmitting)with ex toddler and toddlers older siblings one of the oldest is 10. Plus she see friends at swimming lessons. So dd gets to see friends then and sort play dates.

SixSpotBurnet Wed 23-Jul-08 12:56:21

None as yet - DS2's best friends are away, and DS1 seems very reluctant to bother - I think he is just enjoying chilling out at home.

And DS3 has autism so that's easy really grin.

Bumdiddley Wed 23-Jul-08 12:57:46

Completely agree fmv. It sounds soooo American.

Dcs haven't even had any and the word gets on my nerves.

Is there guidelines on how many they should have? Is it a competition? wink

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:01:11

Message withdrawn

filthymindedvixen Wed 23-Jul-08 13:03:42

yes it is a competition, so you can all prove how popular you/your children are. We have none as all my children's friends' parents work and their kids are in school holiday cclub all summer

filthymindedvixen Wed 23-Jul-08 13:04:24

(actually, I work too <<stares bemusedly at computer screen>> but I get one day off a week_)

posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 13:06:18

oh I hate the word too just didn't know what else to call it , sorry

I guess I do mean how many of you have friends to jst call up as say come round for a cuppa this afternoon too

I only have one of those so far

Oliveoil Wed 23-Jul-08 13:08:04

well I work 3 days

one day my parents come

so that leaves one day [whoop] in which to organise stuff

I have the mobile number of one woman so dd1 can meet up with her dd

ditto for dd2

tbh, on my one free day [whoop again] we just wake up and see what the weather is like and more as not take scooters to the park and take it from there

9 times of 10 I know someone there and the kids will run about and the mums will sag on the bench

Fennel Wed 23-Jul-08 13:11:26

Our holidays start tomorrow and so far I have arranged 3 playdates/sleepovers/lunch invitations just for tomorrow. (do I win the competition? grin)

It's not a popularity contest. I just like seeing people and so do my dds. They like chilling out at home but they like it better with friends round.

posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 13:14:47

OliveOil has conforted me
Fennel has freaked me out wink

posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 13:15:19

ha ha, my last post sounds like I'm trying out homeopathic remedies grin

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:19:40

Message withdrawn

TeeBee Wed 23-Jul-08 13:32:18

I have about 10 'child swaps' arranged - I have theirs for an afternoon and then they take mine on another day - that way, lots of chilled out mummies (can visualise glass of white and a magazine as we speak) and occupied children as they only want to see their friends anyway. I'm sure a lot more will crop up as I'm having texts from people each day (all of hoping to get some time off, obviously). Holidays - sorted.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 23-Jul-08 13:35:22

we have arranged one for each week of the holidays - date and time booked for my sanity.
We also have loose arrangements with others for meeting at the swings on other days but that will be more weather dependent.
I guess probably 9-10 friend things in total.

I have also booked 4 family outings - DH has booked the days off work.

That said there are lots of days like today where it will be painting in the garden or baking to fill our days.

posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 13:42:01

it's not too bad really.
I work 2 days a week so ds and dd will be at private nursery - last summer that will happen though as ds starts school in september so next year will have all week to fill!

Litchick Wed 23-Jul-08 13:59:26

Riven - your description of teenagers just dropping by sounds fantastic. I hope my kids grow up feeling they can have their mates around whenever...I'll be one of those Mums who constantly feeds everyone which I hope will hold sway and keep me popular wink.
As for your daughter - anyone who thinks she's not playdate material aint worth knowing.

Nemoandthefishes Wed 23-Jul-08 14:05:09

nothing really arranged with anyone at the school but if we are up to nothing and its a nice day have a couple of peoples numbers I can text etc. Will be meeting up with mners a lot'hopefully' first of which is tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now