Talk

Advanced search

HELP!! Tips on brushing a 15 month old's teeth!

(13 Posts)
Gateau Wed 23-Jul-08 08:41:03

This has got to be the worst task for us. We try to brush our DS's teeth twice a day, as advised. It's a nightmare EVERY time. He wriggles and cries and we barely get to touch his teeth, never mind clean them. Any tips?

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 08:46:42

Isn't it twice a day from age two, and once a day until then? I could be wrong.

Don't make a battle out of it. Let him choose his own toothbrush, and make sure he likes the toothpaste - and only use a very small amount of toothpaste. Give him the toothbrush himself and let him put it into his mouth himself. Let him see you brushing your teeth.Also get a doll and pretend to brush the doll's teeth.

Don't stress about it - it does get easier.

scotsgirl Wed 23-Jul-08 10:23:09

I found getting DS into a headlock was quite effective!

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 10:24:05

A very different approach to my gently gently method scotsgirl!

Mimsy2000 Wed 23-Jul-08 10:29:45

my 26 month old is still pretty crap about it tbh. i've not made a big battle out of it and try and make it fun, like letting him choose the toothbrush. the only trick i have found so far is to let him 'brush' my teeth while i brush his and that allows me a few good brushes.

i'd also considered getting him an electric toothbrush but haven't done it yet - maybe that would help?

Gateau Wed 23-Jul-08 10:35:03

Thanks everyone. Some good suggestions here. My DS is probably a little young yet for some of them tho. I partic like the "you brush mine and I'll brush yours approach."

Bramshott Wed 23-Jul-08 10:36:02

I just give DD2 the brush and let her chew on it. That said, I am currently battling against her wanting to walk round whilst 'brushing' - she just wants to walk round whilst doing everything, but I'm scared she'll fall and hurt her mouth on the brush, which in fact she has done.

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 10:38:41

And I find it good to remember that it is actually very uncomfortable having someone else brush your teeth, I find it helps to see it from the toddler's point of view.

scotsgirl Wed 23-Jul-08 10:39:47

When he's a bit older you can do the 'Ooh, look, there's dinosaurs/monsters/fluffy bunnies (whatever he's interested in) in your teeth. Let's quickly brush them out' trick. Although brute strength is quicker. I know, I know, I'm an evil mother! DS is six now BTW, and getting quite good at brushing his teeth on his own.

onelittlelion Wed 23-Jul-08 10:45:30

I cant get a tothbrush in ds's mouth and brush either. He is just 2 and I ssem to give in and let him chew the brush too. Dh is better as he is firmer. We're going to the dentists for first time next week - hope all ok and he'll open his mouth! Glad to read that it does get easier!

Gateau Wed 23-Jul-08 10:45:38

Another good idea, there. Thanks scotsgirl

EffiePerine Wed 23-Jul-08 10:47:42

I let DS chew the brush (someone reassuringly said this was suprisingly effective) and then 'mummy finish off' which he doesn't like but more or less tolerates

also helps if I brush my teeth at the same time (he's 21 mo but we've been doing this for some time)

ceebee74 Wed 23-Jul-08 10:51:56

I'm afraid me and Dh go for the 'headlock' approach too blush We give DS (2) a chance to brush himself which he does occasionally but is more interested in brushing the wall/bed/carpet <sigh> so we give him warnings that if he doesn't do it, we will - tbh, although he cries whilst doing it, it is more of a giggly cry so and he stops as soon as we are done so I don't think he minds that much - all part of the game for him I think (that sounds like I am justifying it doesn't it grin).

BTW, this is a 2-man job - one to hold his hands down and the other to hold his head and brush - if DH is away, I cannot do it by myself as he is like an octopus wink so his teeth tend not to get cleaned very well on those days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now