Talk

Advanced search

Baby wearing with large norks!

(28 Posts)
missjennipenni Tue 22-Jul-08 22:16:36

I am overly-generous in the booby department, but want to start wearing my 3 month old DS in a sling. I have just purchased a ring sling. And now i need help!

Is it even possible for me to baby wear? im a 40 G!

HOW do I wear him? above the norks? in front? because if i carried him low, he would get smothered!

and next, will i hurt his back if he is bent over my boobage? Or am I imaging this all wrong? lol

pleae help, im a complete novice at this!

Tangle Tue 22-Jul-08 23:19:01

Congrats on your sling purchase

I'll confess now that I've never managed to get ring slings to work for me, but the basic concepts should be the same. As long as you stick to "facing-in" carries, I think you should be fine - babies are very good at moulding to your body, and your DS will just have a really nice comfy pillow . Carrying him facing-out might be more tricky, if you wanted to do that (I never have).

I'm a 32F (was a 34/36G for a while), and started carrying DD in a wrap at about 3 months. I found it worked best if her bum was level with or slightly above my navel. Lower and I ran into a couple of problems - she didn't seem to fit my contours so well and the weight was harder to carry.

Best bet would be to try and meet up with someone experienced that could give you a hand and some confidence - have you had a look on slingmeet to try and find a group near you? Or if you're near London there's the Summer Sling Show on Sunday where you should be able to pick up lots of tips if you can make it.

missjennipenni Wed 23-Jul-08 09:59:12

Thank you very much! Im glad to know its possible to do, Ill have a look at those links.

Morloth Wed 23-Jul-08 10:05:17

And be prepared for lots of men saying, jeez I wish that was me wink

Which is what I got with my 38FFs and baby in hugabub.

missjennipenni Wed 23-Jul-08 18:42:32

lol Morloth, I can just imagine the comments ill get!

Do you find most people are positive about baby wearing, or have you had a negative comment?

Morloth Wed 23-Jul-08 18:51:36

Very positive for us, most people just think its adorable.

I did have the problem that the hugabub was so comfortable (for both of us) and the boy so chilled that I would occasionally forget he was there. I remember getting behind the wheel of the car once, thinking jeez I must have moved the seat forward when I got out, looked down, baby strapped to chest...got asked to leave the over 18s section in the pub, was flattered that they thought I was under 18, until I remembered the baby strapped to my chest...yes I was a flake when had a small baby!

He was a winter baby and I would often where a cape thing I had over the top of both of us. So most people didn't actually realise he was there a lot I think.

Used the hugabub pretty much exclusively up until 2 years and he still wants to get in it if he is sick, but as he is now a whopping great 4 year old my back just isn't up to it.

We do use an Ergo if we are going to be out all day, just makes piggy back easier when his little legs get tired.

Tangle Thu 24-Jul-08 21:18:56

I've been wearing DD for over a year and I've never had a -ve comment. I have had people walk up to me and say how lovely it is, how comfortable and engaged she looks, and to ask me where I got my slings

Morloth - I started with a hugabub as well . I'm impressed you're still using yours at nearly 2 years - by about 9 months DD was getting too heavy and I found it didn't give enough support any more (so I persuaded DH I absolutely had to have a Didymos, and then a few Mei Tais to try... wink)

Oh yes - you should be aware that slings can become very addictive blush

Morloth Thu 24-Jul-08 21:23:32

I loved the silly thing Tangle - it just felt so right and I got to be quite a pro with it - we actually used it after 2 years just not for extended periods as he was just to big and heavy.

Have given away pretty much all of my baby stuff, with the exception of the hugabub because it is the one thing that I absolutely have to have if have another baby.

mamaberta Thu 24-Jul-08 21:26:39

Definitely! Am a comedy 32HH shock at 9 mos post partum and love baby wearing. Front carries actually help to disguise it all. Am struggling to get the back carry sorted out because I am inept through sheer exhaustion and also because a lot of the back carries shown on YouTube (google "rucksack carry" and you'll see them) feature strapping which makes a big feature of your boobs - sad. This is not welcome as far as I'm concerned.

GL

missjennipenni Thu 24-Jul-08 21:32:23

I tried him in it today, but im not sure im doing it right - how do you make sure they dont fall out?

Morloth Thu 24-Jul-08 21:35:18

32HH! Those are indeed some impressive norks. I quite like having the big boobies, the girls always look nice when on display wink

Not sure about ring slings missjennipenni, I assume you just need to make sure he is fully in the "pocket" and snugged up tight against your body? All slings take a bit of practice/adjustment and getting used to.

missjennipenni Thu 24-Jul-08 21:37:31

Id like to carry him so he is sitting slightly raised, he doesnt like lying completely on his back in it - any websites that show you how to position it right?

missjennipenni Thu 24-Jul-08 21:38:01

I mean so he is sitting slightly, not all tucked up inside, IFYKWIM

hellymelly Thu 24-Jul-08 21:40:07

I use a ring sling and I am 30G down from 32H post baby.I found it easy to use you just need to make sure it is snug enough,and swap sides around now and again as I got a blocked duct where the edge pressed on one breast.With baby2 I used a wrap type sling at first and had her facing out,it was fine,and now we use the ring sling mostly (she is 14m)

Morloth Thu 24-Jul-08 21:41:07

linky

BigBadMousey Thu 24-Jul-08 21:42:18

I have to admit to not enjoying wearing my baby bjorn front carrier thing in public. It pushes my norks even further downwards than they are naturally - not a nice look at all. DS loves it though but he's a big boy and I'm a 30 band with a J cup when 'empty' so I find myself a little front heavy - esp when he is due a feed and won't wake up because he is so comfy in there!

missjennipenni Thu 24-Jul-08 21:42:35

Thanks for that link, just what i was looking for!

missjennipenni Thu 24-Jul-08 21:44:58

ohh i think he will love being carried in the kangaroo pouch hold!

missjennipenni Thu 24-Jul-08 21:46:14

BBM - I cant seem to use the baby bjorn type carriers, all my babies squirmed in them, and i didnt like how the babies just seemed to "hang" in them - maybe im weird lol how long did you sue it for?

BigBadMousey Thu 24-Jul-08 21:55:03

Well I've been using it since birth with DS so 8 weeks but I gave up early with the DDs as it hurt my back. I have no choice but to use it atm - he likes 24hr cuddles -I'm getting slightly more skilled at cutting onions while carrying him in it grin. I would very much prefer something else I'm sure but don't know which one. Can't find a cheap sling hire place and they are so costly new I daren't buy one in case it doesn't suit. Just can't bring myself to wear the BB out now since I caught sight of myself in the mirror while wearing it blush - shouldn't give a damn really but I blame post preg hormones making me feel self-concious blush

BigBadMousey Thu 24-Jul-08 21:56:52

sorry - that reads really badly, simultaeous BF and typing not working out tonight. He does squirm in it sometimes thinking about it.

missjennipenni Thu 24-Jul-08 21:57:20

Have you tried ebay? I bought my ringsling for £5 on there. Like you, i didnt want to spend a fortune in case i didnt get on with it,

BigBadMousey Thu 24-Jul-08 22:03:44

I looked a while ago - might look again.....had my eye on hugabubs and wilkinets which aren't cheap. Maybe I should lower my sights a little. Are ring slings good? I need something that means I still have both arms free to empty the dishwasher, grabs errant DDs etc....

missjennipenni Thu 24-Jul-08 22:09:21

I havent ventured out with it yet, but the home trial run has gone well - ds loves being snuggled up next to mummys boobys! and he feels more secure in there, than in a bjorn carrier

Tangle Thu 24-Jul-08 22:38:50

I wonder what I did wrong with my hugabub, then - the edges started to curl in and caused humungeous pressure points . Still have it tucked in the cupboard though wink

BBM - have a look on slingmeet: I went to a meeting locally and a lovely lady turned up with the most enormous bag of assorted slings for us all to try (wraps, mei tais, podegais, ring slings, structured carriers, you name it...). She'd had about 5 children, carried them all and now makes and sells her own slings. There were about 10 ladies there, 3 or 4 of whom were pretty experienced baby wearers and could give the rest of us a hand. Some groups also operate a sling library, so you can take a sling home for a couple of weeks to try for a nominal fee.

Otherwise, have a look at RumpleBums and UKbabywearingswap for 2nd hand slings in the UK, or for more variety TheBabyWearer is US based and has a very active ForSaleOrTrade board, and with the $ the way it is at the moment even the postage doesn't sting too badly.

Mamaberta - have you tried a Mei Tai? Napsacks and BallBabys (often abbreviated to BBO) are both styled with wide straps that a lot of larger busted ladies find quite comfy crossed over the front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now