Talk

Advanced search

Trying to get rid of the dummy

(11 Posts)
iheartsunsets Tue 22-Jul-08 16:31:55

dd is 8 months and I'm trying to stop her having the dummy in the day, just letting her have it at night.

I think she's crying for it though as she's been really grumpy since I started this.

Has anyone any experience/advice on this?

cocolepew Tue 22-Jul-08 16:33:26

Why do you not want her to have it during the day you cruel heartless woman?

iheartsunsets Tue 22-Jul-08 16:35:05

LOL!

My HV told me to start reducing the times she has now as it will be easier to wean her off it completly later on

cocolepew Tue 22-Jul-08 16:40:47

bollocks no she's wrong. I found it easier when my DD was able to move around and amuse herself. She still had it downstairs, but not outside, when she was 4/5. She's now nearly 7 and still has it at night. I sucked my thumb until I was 12, so i don't see the big rush to stop dummies. Good luck anyway smile

iheartsunsets Tue 22-Jul-08 16:43:56

Really? I didn't think it was good for their teeth if they had it that long?

cocolepew Tue 22-Jul-08 16:48:27

There was a thread on here the other day where a MNetter had been to the orthodontist with her dcs and he had said sucking a dummy/thumb has little or no effect on teeth shape. You are born with an overbite. My DD has a slight over bite but she goes to the dentist every six months and it's never been mentioned.

iheartsunsets Tue 22-Jul-08 16:51:42

Thanks for the advice. smile

Think I will just leave her with it as it does seem cruel to take it away

cocolepew Tue 22-Jul-08 16:57:49

smile My eldest DD just stopped of her own accord at 16 months.

theexmrsfederer Tue 22-Jul-08 19:26:21

my dd stopped by herself when she was 4

we "sent it to the poorly children at xmas"

you can reason with them at 4

you cannot reason with an 8mo with a dummy habit

my ds on the other hand never entertained a dummy even though I tried desperatley to get him to have one !!

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Tue 22-Jul-08 21:26:24

dd stoped wanting hers at a year, ds at 2 years. they were not intrested anymore. dead easy

SquiffyHock Tue 22-Jul-08 21:30:30

If you really want to get rid of it though, cut a slit in the top - they can't suck it properly then so generally lose interest. I did this when I wanted to take away DD's dummy at 20 months. We didn't have any upset or any sleepless nights smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now