Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else find Health Visitor appointments really stressful?

(16 Posts)
MrsMacaroon Tue 22-Jul-08 12:39:23

HV just showed up unexpectedly...well she said it was scheduled but it wasn't on my calendar grrrr

anyway, i have a fluey thing so was in worst greying dressing gown, bed hair, kids in jammies, toys strewn, breakfast dishes not cleared etc

adding to that DD1 was being really naughty and said 'daddy's got bits and bobs!' to her...think she meant, ahem, boy parts. Great!

by the time she left i thought i was about to have a nervous breakdown.

i know they're supposed to be supportive but i could do without it...i always feel judged and find myself acting strangely around her out of some weird fear of authority or something...

argh!

WideWebWitch Tue 22-Jul-08 12:40:17

I saw a hv once and once only with my second child. You don't have to see them at all.

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 12:44:00

Just don't let her in/make appointments if you don't want to see her. Its not compulsory, and if she makes you feel judged, its not worth the hassle

MrsMacaroon Tue 22-Jul-08 12:45:58

think she's trying to be supportive as i don't have family to help me...she's scheduled another one for a months time- can i just call her and cancel?

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 12:51:33

Yep - 'ooh just realised that we will be ... Sorry, with school hols and stuff don't want to make another and cancel that, will call you if I need to see you'

MrsMacaroon Tue 22-Jul-08 13:13:21

just did it, making excuse however she said this appointment is a compulsory'follow up postnatal questionnaire' at 3-4 months post birth SO just rescheduled.

can't get rid of her LOL

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 13:17:23

No such thing as compulsory - the only thing that is compulsory in terms of healtcare in this country is when you have been sectioned under the mental health act, or by specific court order

cardy Tue 22-Jul-08 13:19:58

can't you go to her at a healthcentrer rather than her visit you?

MrsMacaroon Tue 22-Jul-08 13:47:33

maybe different in scotland?

i remember the first questionnaire at 6-8 weeks which was checking for things like postnatal depression...think it's a follow up on that to see how you're feeling.

lou031205 Tue 22-Jul-08 15:56:00

MrsMacaroon - it's compulsory for them to offer the questionnaire. It isn't compulsory for you to fill it in or answer the questions. It just makes it harder for them to tick their boxes.

MrsMacaroon Tue 22-Jul-08 19:32:29

aha- that makes sense lou, thanks.

i blatantly don't have PND and kids are fine so bollox to that.

LadySanders Tue 22-Jul-08 19:36:36

my gp's hv periodically phones me to point out that ds1's pre school check up is overdue. he's 7 now.... anytime now they're going to catch up to the fact that i've now got a ds2 too...

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 22-Jul-08 19:42:20

Message withdrawn

MrsMacaroon Tue 22-Jul-08 19:50:12

jings, SM.

from one extreme to the other

Milkysallgone Tue 22-Jul-08 20:15:46

Yes, see the thread I started earlier.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/67/572356

MrsMacaroon Tue 22-Jul-08 22:47:18

milky- gawd, your thread made me feel loooads better x mwah x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now