Talk

Advanced search

I'm worried because I'm not at all artistic!

(8 Posts)
Gateau Tue 22-Jul-08 09:20:40

Hi,
My DS is 15 months old - a bit too young for appreciating artistic talent probably - but I can't help worrying that I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I really want to draw/paint with him and make crafty things but I'm afraid I won't be able to. I feel so inadequate when I look at the creations of other mothers. Help!! Does anyone have any ideas for "simple" things I could maybe manage?

TrinityRhino Tue 22-Jul-08 09:22:52

draw a stick man

put silly hair on it with bright felt tips

then let your ds colour the hair

you dont have to be artistic to play with your kids smile

Mercy Tue 22-Jul-08 09:23:52

Playdough, collage, painting old boxes etc are simple things that you could do together at toddler stage.

Tnoog Tue 22-Jul-08 09:27:47

Splodgy handprint painting is fun and requires absoutely no artistic flair.

ShePeeTeePee Tue 22-Jul-08 09:30:47

Have been constantly amazed at how low children's expectations are - seem happy with any old scribble. If it's complete rubbish just add a face - always a crowd pleaser. Best of all, you won't be making them feel inadequate if your doodlings are a bit 'naive'.

Same goes for two cartons stuck together really. Ask children what it looks like and they never seem to say 'two cartons stuck together' - generally get 'train', 'spaceship', 'cat'etc....

scanner Tue 22-Jul-08 09:36:00

You can encourage your ds by providing materials, we are a creative family and as to be expect the dc's are too. I've gradually collected a range of different coloured acrylic paints (ready made sort you get in schools), paint brushes, foam shapes, stars, glitter etc. A lot can be picked up from £1 shops as can colouring in books etc. I also save 'interesting' boxes, cartons, pizza circle thingys. Most importantly a plastic sheet and aprons/old t-shirts etc.

Painting stones/shells is fun, decorating digestive biscuits. Honestly you don't need to be picasso.

Gateau Tue 22-Jul-08 09:42:03

Thank you everyone for your ideas.
I guess if I start doing it instead of worrying about it then'll I'll be fine and get onto a bit of a roll! (I hope!)
At what age do you think kids really start enjoying it?

Morloth Tue 22-Jul-08 10:33:40

Love, I can barely colour between the lines!

In the last 4 years of parenting it has never come up. Though I like to outsource a lot of that stuff to the nursery.

This may make me a crap mother, but I find it is a reasonable tradeoff ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now