Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with my only during the school holidays

(11 Posts)
ghostfreak Fri 18-Jul-08 23:18:46

Hi
My ds is an only and I am dreading the school holidays as I am never quite sure what to do with him to prevent him getting bored.

I have always been a shy mom so don,t have any mom friends whose children I can get him together with during the holidays.
Also no children of his age in the family to play with.
I find soft play centres really awkward with him as he has to rely on geting another child to play with him which doesn,t always work out.
I always feel awful during school holidays about him being on his own.
Any ideas on what I can do with him he is 7.

KatieDD Fri 18-Jul-08 23:24:34

Where abouts are you ? I would say enroll him in some holiday clubs or start meeting Mums very quickly it'll be a long 6 weeks just you and him and you really can't get away with that much longer. Out of your shell grin

Thankyouandgoodnight Fri 18-Jul-08 23:27:32

What sort of things does he like doing?

Are you able to spend a little bit of money (e.g. swimming or karate lessons) or do you need ideas for free things?

I have to say - to help him, it would be really worth putting your shyness to one side and perhaps biting the bullet and ask other children to come over and play / meet up in the park with a football. Scary I know but he will benefit hugely from it.

ghostfreak Fri 18-Jul-08 23:31:51

I am in the midlands.
He is so awkward about going to things such as holiday schemes.
My shyness has always been a problem it has been torture on me and a real curse.
I do speak to a couple or so moms at the school whose children have been on a playdate at our house but I seem to lack the courage to get our children together in holidays.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 19-Jul-08 16:42:25

Come join me smile Would be great if you lived close as I have an only too.

ghostfreak Mon 21-Jul-08 22:41:14

Hi
HappyMummy Whereabouts are you.

pompeygal Wed 30-Jul-08 23:50:26

we've an only one too, being bullied by an "ex-friend" and his entourage. living onthe same road as C during the school holidays, she can't even go out to see existing friends without coming back upset - how do i cope with this ?

thornrose Wed 30-Jul-08 23:55:37

I too have only one child and my friends have much older children or are out at work, it is hard. I go to the same parks and playgrounds a couple of times a week if I can, if you're lucky you get to see familiar faces. If my dd manages to make a friend (which is tough as she has Aspergers!) I encourage her to ask them what days they usually come to the playground. It's less full on than actually making arrangements with strangers and better coming from an 8yo than me I think!

thornrose Wed 30-Jul-08 23:56:31

Pompeygal, that's a horrible situation and I can't think of a way around it!

lucylue Thu 31-Jul-08 00:07:28

pompeygal,
did you speak to their parents about their children upsetting your dd.
sorry for you.

pompeygal Thu 31-Jul-08 11:31:53

yes, spoke a couple of times but they just ask the child what is going on, he shrugs, they shrug and the situation goes on.....unless the father feels like he should tell my mum to go away in front of the children, which just makes them feel more powerful than before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now