Talk

Advanced search

"What does the F word mean Mummy?"

(8 Posts)
Buda Fri 18-Jul-08 07:35:09

Asked DS yesterday. He is almost 7. I just said it wasn't a nice word. But he persisted in wanting to know what it means.

I have never talked about sex with him - I think he is too young - so don't really want to explain that it is is term for sex.

Any ideas for if he asks again?

allgonebellyup Fri 18-Jul-08 07:45:28

well i knew for years the word "fuck" but i had no idea it was related to sex til i was about 15!!

you cant just say its a swear word without mentioning it means sex?

Buda Fri 18-Jul-08 07:49:51

That's what I have done allgone but he wants to know what it means. Will leave it alone till he asks again (hoping he won't!) but just wondered what others had said.

Last year he asked me about the word "damn" so I explained that there were 2 words - dam for blocking a river and damn which is not a very nice word. Later he dropped something and said "damn - but the one in the river mummy not the bad one!"

cory Fri 18-Jul-08 10:33:27

I would have explained- but then I would have explained sex first iyswim; I wouldn't want our first talk on the subject to be in this negative context.

My 7yo knew the basics, so I would have been able to say something like it originally means the same as 'sex' or 'making love', but that because sex is such a wonderful way for grown-ups who love each other to be close, I think it's really sad when it becomes a swear word. It's taking something beautiful and pretending it's dirty and I think it's a really silly thing to do.

But then I would probably explain the etymological and theological background to the word 'damn' too (and explaining that saying the word wouldn't have any effect).

I just talk too much...

cory Fri 18-Jul-08 10:35:23

I would also explain how words shift in meaning, so that most people who say 'damn' today just mean they are annoyed; they're not actually wishing that anyone will go to hell. And when they say the F word they mean they are very annoyed; they're not thinking about sex.

But as I said, I talk too much.

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 18-Jul-08 10:38:55

My DS(8) said to me the other day "I know what the C word stands for". DH and I were exchanging glances frantically as DD1 (3) was around too, but DS came out proudly with "it stands for crap".

inthepink Fri 18-Jul-08 10:47:14

when I was helping in a class of 5/6 year olds one came to tell on another child saying that X had said the "f" word, I nearly fell off my chair but then another child piped up "yes Miss, X said fart!"

lizinthesticks Fri 18-Jul-08 10:54:55

"i had no idea it was related to sex til i was about 15"

Sorry, but unless you were raised in a convent I simply canNOT believe that for even a minute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now