Talk

Advanced search

How often to you change children's sheets?

(31 Posts)
slobetta Sun 06-Feb-05 10:03:13

SAD question but just out of interest, how often would you change a 4 yr old boy's sheets? They just never seem to smell and I'm sure I let them go too long!

Also how often do you wash tea towels? I try not to use too many paper towells but I get through about two tea towels a day and put them straight in the wash.

Also how often do you clean the house????
I had a big clean yesterday and am so bad at cleaning I suddenly thought - how/when do other people do it?

My neighbour has a perfect house and works,but she told me once she gets up an hour before family to get ready for the day and generally races around all them time cleaning, organising, cooking, tidying etc She said once that she only has time to herself when she goes to bed....

I need at least three hours in front of the tv a night to feel sane! Love to hear your household tips.

NameChangingMancMidlander Sun 06-Feb-05 10:15:16

kids bedding is washed fortnightly. kids are 12.5, 11 & 2.5. unless there are any accidents or spills etc.

we empty the teatowel drawer every few days, there are about 8 teatowels in there.

i clean the house every day.
* hoovering is done daily downstairs. upstairs is done twice a week.
* mopping of hard floors is done weekly
* bathrooms are done thoroughly weekly.
* kitchen is kept clean & tidy daily
* laundry is done daily
* polishing/dusting is done weekly
* ironing is done on demand
* windows are done monthly.

Frizbe Sun 06-Feb-05 10:16:43

I try and do everything once a week, but occasionally if really busy the house slips to once every two weeks, with a quick hoover by me or dh inbetween! (am I really bad? it doesn't look dirty IYSWIM

NameChangingMancMidlander Sun 06-Feb-05 10:17:29

dd goes to nursery 2 afternoons a week which gives me 2 3 hour slots to blitz the house. most of other stuff can be done with dd around.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 06-Feb-05 10:20:56

I have a cleaner once a week who changes the bedding. I'm so grateful to her coz atm I've hardly any time to breathe let alone change sheets.

logic Sun 06-Feb-05 10:24:06

Bedding gets changed once a week. The house gets thoroughly cleaned on a Wednesday because I have childcare that day. Kitchen and laundry get done on a daily basis. House still looks a mess though!

slobetta Sun 06-Feb-05 10:24:45

I am full of respect Mancmindlander! So do you work as well? And do you have a good routine? Do you get up before the family to do stuff? And when you say once a week, are some of those bigger jobs on the same day most weeks?
How much totally off time do you have yourself per day/week? Forgive all the questions!
I've been looking at flylady.com and had a real sort out of one bedroom yesterday and feel hugely better, but I am so behind on all these chores, am so lazy but it is good to hear what other people consider the minimum!
Do you get help with any of this from the rest of the family?

Lonelymum Sun 06-Feb-05 10:42:43

I change the bottom sheet every week and put the top sheet on the bottom. Have always done that.

Tea towels, less sure. Have a dishwasher and only wash up saucepans etc and often leave them to dry naturally so I don't think my tea towels get much use.

House: have a permanent rota for cleaning the house (excluding weekends) and am usually two or three days behind. I am not very house proud I have to admit.

Like to spend the evening in front of the TV too. Very occasionally I do all the ironing in front of the TV in the evening. That feels like killing two birds with one stone.

NameChangingMancMidlander Sun 06-Feb-05 11:10:32

I'm a sahm with a toddler at home and 2 DSs at school. I live in a large modern 4 bed house (just to give you an idea of scale)

I try to do all 3 bathrooms in one go (family bathroom, ensuite shower room, downstairs cloakroom). It generally takes about an hour to do all 3 thoroughly (inc mirrors, windows and floors). I find it easier that way, I just take my bucket of cleaning things with me and away I go !

I can get most things done whilst DD is at nursery and still have time to sit down with a drink for my fix of daytime tv . I think you'd be amazed at how much you can get done in an hour, if you put your mind to it.

It really does help to keep all the rooms as tidy as possible, that way the cleaning part is much quicker and easier to do.

The DSs are in charge of their own rooms, so I tend to only go in to change the sheets and take the laundry bins.

Thankfully DH is a tidy cook and so he rarely leaves the kitchen in a state, which makes my job a lot easier.

I can usually manage to...
* get my laundry hung in the airing cupboard
* hoover the carpets (upstairs and downstairs)
* mop the hard floors (kitchen, hall, 3 bathrooms)
* clean the bathrooms

in one nursery session. It looks a lot but it only takes a cpl of hours to do the lot. Not even that.

misdee Sun 06-Feb-05 11:18:22

kids bedding one to three times a week. they have eczema and leave flakes of skin everywhere.

dont use tea towels, i leave things on the drainer to dry, have tea towels and if i do use them they go in the wash the same day.

clean my house? everyday, and its still a pig sty!

NameChangingMancMidlander Sun 06-Feb-05 11:22:14

here's me giving the impression of being a total domestic goddess and the bedding is still languishing in the washing machine waiting to be hung to dry, having finished washing 2 hours ago

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 06-Feb-05 11:23:01

NCMM when can you start? I'll have keys cut for you and you just pop in and whizz round during that other nursery session you have free

NameChangingMancMidlander Sun 06-Feb-05 11:25:19

lol ! i spend my other nursery session slobbing out, MNing or window shopping for gorgeous things

Lonelymum Sun 06-Feb-05 13:17:34

I agree with you NCMM that a lot can be achieved in a short space of time if you are organised and get on with it (and the house is tidy - sadly never in our case). My difficulty lies in just getting down to it but when I am strict with myself, I agree it all gets done in a couple of hours.

IlanaK Sun 06-Feb-05 13:20:52

I have two children under 4 and they do not attend nursery so I admit that cleaning is a low priority. However, I can't stand things untiday. SO the end of every day is spent tidying up. As for cleaning, I tend to do most of it with dh at the weekends because its easier if two of us are around. I hoover the flat (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, reception room, hallway, and kitchen - just to giv eyou an idea) at the weekend. ANd I also try to mop the floors (all hard floors - no carpets anywhere). DH does the bathrooms - ideally once a week, but not always. The kitchen is sort of kept clean and tiday each day as we go along. The dusting is done every 2-3 weeks, though it should be more as we live in central london and the dust is bad. I try to do the sheets once every 2 weeks, sometimes more. Towels are once a week. Laundry is most days. I would love to have a cleaner, but can't afford one. I would love a cleaner house, but I am not willing to spend the time on it!

Hulababy Sun 06-Feb-05 20:21:18

Approx every 2 weeks for DD, who is nearly 3.

lockets Sun 06-Feb-05 20:30:59

Message withdrawn

PicadillyCircus Sun 06-Feb-05 20:35:14

NCMM - thank you for reminding me that my washing is also in the washing machine hoping that it will get to leave one day .

slobetta Sun 06-Feb-05 20:50:03

Thanks so much for all your posts. I am in AWE but I really have to accept that I am very very very lazy. Were you guys born industrious? I'm such a slob, My mother was not houseproud, can I blame my genes? But I am inspired by you and am going to go and tidy up some toys now. But do you think you need a routine to keep it up? I find it so hard to establish any kind of routine!
But NCMMidlander - if I knew what you looked like I would carve a little statue of you and put a candle in front of it in a little shrine - you are seriously organised. I am going to Stand Up in future when I am replying to your posts. !

slobetta Sun 06-Feb-05 20:58:39

and I just saw flylady.com who says that thing about setting a timer to see what you can do in 15mins but you have to stay in one room. This really works for me. Also she said this really clever thing which made a difference for me yesterday, she says never clean unless you're properly dressed and wearing shoes - such a good point - I did get a lot done yesterday and I think wearing shoes made a real difference, how odd is that? NCMMidlander - tell me are you wearing shoes when you get through that fabulous list!!

SPARKLER1 Sun 06-Feb-05 21:00:16

I change all the bedding in the house once a week. Every Sunday. We all have baths and showers in the evening ready for school/work the next day. There's nothing like getting into a fresh, clean bed after a nice shower. Sunday night sleeps are always very relaxing. Aaaahhhh!

pinkdiamond Sun 06-Feb-05 21:03:06

Message withdrawn

northstar Sun 06-Feb-05 21:09:31

I used to do it once a wk, but then bought some grey sheets and you could really see the dribble on them so i .....
1)CHANGE THEM MORE OFTEN
or
2)JUST WENT BACK TO WHITE SHEETS
yep, you've guessed it's 2!!!

slobetta Sun 06-Feb-05 21:10:32

Oh pinkdiamond you're going in my shrine too!!!!!!!

pinkdiamond Sun 06-Feb-05 21:12:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now