Talk

Advanced search

Please tell us we're doing this right!

(10 Posts)
finallypregnant Thu 17-Jul-08 19:17:42

On demand feeding with DS who is 14 days old? It's not too bad but obviously this means he sleeps when he wants to as well but he also has ramdom times when he is WIDE awake and these awake periods can last 3 or so hours.

Am I right in saying that he'll find his own way at around 6-8 weeks? Hubby is concerned.

I feel that everything I read beforehand has been completely forgotten!

LIZS Thu 17-Jul-08 19:20:07

Souds pretty normal ! Gradually he'll learn night from day and you may fidn he'll start to sleep for longer periods at night but that will take sevral weeks to come about. Meanwhile congratulations .

nickytwotimes Thu 17-Jul-08 19:24:46

You're doing fine!

If he is bfing, he needs to do this to get the supply up. I didn't really "get" this (no mn) and consequently didn't manage to bf past a few weeks. If he is ff, he still needs a lot of feeds as his tummy is so little.

He will find his own way - you can encourage him to be less wakeful at night by just doing what needs doing and not chatting, fussing, etc and by making a big fuss of him in the day time (like you're not doing that,lol!)

FWIW, I'm a routine fan, but I let ds find his own routine with a little gentle encouragement. Trying to impose one on him didn't work! by about 3 mths, it was great.

EffiePerine Thu 17-Jul-08 19:27:13

You are doing exactly right . Feeding on demand means your baby will get the milk he needs when he needs it, and you will cope with growth spurts etc. Keep up the good work

(and fp's DH: tea, choc and fetch her the remote control)

crokky Thu 17-Jul-08 19:27:14

You are doing it right. IMO a 14 day old baby can have whatever it wants whenever it wants.

PortAndLemon Thu 17-Jul-08 19:30:51

Sounds fine. Try to get out for a little bit every day as it will help establish the day/night boundaries and help your DS find his own routine.

lizinthesticks Thu 17-Jul-08 19:45:21

"IMO a 14 day old baby can have whatever it wants whenever it wants."

Yep.

ConnorTraceptive Thu 17-Jul-08 19:53:49

Your doing it perfectly and give it a few more weeks and things will settle down.

DS2 was all over the place in the first few weeks. I still feed on demand but he definately has a much clearer pattern now (which does flutuate occasionally to keep you guessing)

All I did was establish a little bed time routine of bath at 9pm, feed and then down for the night. Once he was a bit more settled we brought this forward, other than that ds2 leads the way.

artichokes Thu 17-Jul-08 19:56:51

You need to feed on demand for the first few weeks so that your breasts can establish a good supply. He will tell your body what he needs smile and it does get less time consuming and more predictable after a while.

finallypregnant Thu 17-Jul-08 20:01:51

Thank you. I hate doubting myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now