Talk

Advanced search

I need your thoughts on how to deal with a child who is upset at having to say goodbye to people he/she loves (nannies/teachers/au pairs)

(7 Posts)
emkana Wed 16-Jul-08 23:37:31

dd1 is moving from the infants to the juniors in September and she is finding it very hard to say goodbye to the teacher she has loved very very much over the last three years.

What can I say to her?

MamaG Wed 16-Jul-08 23:41:13

Is it a separate building? My DD was upset at leaving her Year 1 teacher - she had her again in Year 3 after a reshuffle and will have her AGAIN in September, Year 5, after another reshuffle!

could you tell DD taht schools move teachers around lots and lots and she might teach her again?

If not, is it possible for you to go say hello a couple of times in the new term until DD settles with new class?

emkana Wed 16-Jul-08 23:42:42

Yes it is a completely seperate school, on the same site though.

MamaG Wed 16-Jul-08 23:43:43

I would have a word with teacher tomorrow, in that case - tell her how difficult DD is finding it and ask if you can come and see her after school once a (week?) (fortnight?) - if DD knows she will still see her it might ease the blow.

Romy7 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:53:40

shock
really?
i just say 'it is sad, darling isn't it' and turn the conversation round to the new teacher who is probably going to be just as nice, maybe even nicer, and what fun you'll have in the big school - wow they have a different playground and get to....'

i'm not sure i'd be prepared to wheel her off to the infant school whilst the teacher has got her hands full with a brand new class who are having difficulties settling in, and mummies who need to talk to her...

am i a heartless cow?

Flamesparrow Thu 17-Jul-08 10:55:52

I remember my mum saying that my sister was heartbroken on leaving her first teacher, the teacher gave her a teddy from the classroom to keep over the holidays and return at the start of the new year - so that DSis would know she would see her again.

Not regular visits, but that guaranteed one visit.

emkana Thu 17-Jul-08 22:11:44

oh gawd it's the leavers' assembly tomorrow... I can't bear it shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now