Talk

Advanced search

Going to LA on own...

(9 Posts)
mrschop Wed 16-Jul-08 17:53:27

Have an opportunity to do a weekend in LA on my own, DH very supportive of the idea. Wd be visiting an old work colleague. Have never left my 2 children overnight, so feel quite odd at being such a long way away.

DH travels a lot, the kids are fine when he's away, but people I've told seem to be a bit surprised at the idea of me going away on my own. I feel a bit irritated - why is me going for a break to maintain a long term friendship any less valid (or rather, any worse for the children) than DH going away for a fortnight on business? They are 3 and 1, please come and reassure me that I am not being completely selfish!

cocolepew Wed 16-Jul-08 17:57:06

GO

and take me envy

bloominnorah Wed 16-Jul-08 18:01:43

Go for it! I'm a SAHM and went to Spain with my other 2 friends who are also SAHM for a weeks break.

Had a brill time and came home refreshed.

In the meantime I'd left my 18mth old toddler with hubby and they had a great time just the two of them.

I did get the same surprised reactions from people when I said I was going on hol without DS and DH but I'm allowed to have a break too and why should life stop because we have kids!

TheCrackFox Wed 16-Jul-08 18:38:08

What is wrong with you woman? A weekend to yourself? FFS it should be at least a week!!
Have a nice time. Some people are jealous, ignore them because they are twats.

mrschop Wed 16-Jul-08 18:53:50

Thanks, I felt a bit odd about leaving them, as you do, then a few choice comments made me doubt myself. I really hate this assumption that once you become a mum you give up any desire to a bit of your own life.

spicemonster Wed 16-Jul-08 18:56:15

You will have a marvellous time. DH is their parent too I presume?

mrschop Wed 16-Jul-08 19:23:20

Yes, he's happy for me to go and to look after them - it's because he travels so much that he wants me to go off on my own to have a bit of the excitement of travelling without two screeching children!

Chooster Wed 16-Jul-08 21:09:56

Go, go go go go go.... I went to New York on a girlie weekend when DS1 was 11 months old leaving him with DH. You have to do things for you and not just focus on your DC. You'll only regret it if you pass up teh opportunity and good on your DH for being so suportive smile

mrschop Wed 16-Jul-08 21:47:09

You've all made me feel much better - that and a glass of wine or two! Am now really looking forward to it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now