Talk

Advanced search

So how many prams did u have and what age did your DC stop using them at?

(72 Posts)
youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 10:10:39

I have a 2YO DS and regularly walk at least 2 miles a day so I think I still need a pushchair for him but apparently MIL thinks he's bog enough to walk it!!! angry Am I wrong in thinking he shouldnt walk this far?

Also I'm on my 3rd pushchair since he was born have had Emmaljunga Cerox, which loved but too big for it now, Jane energy(just shite), and now using M&P 03 sport which is 3 months old but very big and heavy! Want to sell all and buy a Baby Jogger Mini city as is tiny, easy to fold and lightweight. Does anyone have experience with one of these?

Am I being pram obsessed or am I justified?

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 10:17:16

ANYONE? PSML

crokky Wed 16-Jul-08 10:18:42

IMO, it's better to have a pushchair for a 2yo (my DS is 2 years 4 months) because you cannot rely on them walking where you want them to go. Or they might throw a tantrum 2 miles away from home and how do you get them home? Better to have the buggy, let him walk by the side of it if he wants, let him ride in it if he wants or put him in it if he has a tantrum etc.

IMO, you can go through as many buggies as you like as long as you sell the previous one on so someone else can get use out of it.

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 10:22:17

Thank You Crokky feel bad as original cost £500 (granny bought)in 2006 then bought Pushchair £100 and gave it away after a year and then bought big 3 wheeler in May for £160 oh dear feel bad now. Not exactly flush for cash but feel it is a bit of a neccessity

misdee Wed 16-Jul-08 10:23:02

dd3 is has only started walking everywhere at age 3.

at 2 she would toddle along but i would end up carrying her in the end.

we are just using an old maclaren volo

SoupKitchen Wed 16-Jul-08 10:28:11

DD is 31/2 and still needs the buggy if we go too far ie couple of miles.
DS is 2.4 and no way could I/or would I walk more than half a mile with him, so a buggy is a must for us, as I don't use the car during the week.

Buggies far more than you
Chicco travel system
Maclaren XT
Phil and Ted
Maclaren double
Britax Vista

All sold on with the exception of phil and Ted which is a godsend, act like a single but can still use it a s a double when needed.

You are not alone in te buggy thing, IME childrens and parents needs change and it is rare to find a buggy that is right for you and the stages from newborn to ambulant toddler, on your first attempt

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 10:29:08

ARGH cant read thread for sum reason just comes up add message!

Carnival Wed 16-Jul-08 10:32:50

My DD (3.5) still uses buggy (infrequently) but if we're going to go out for the whole day walking, it's good to have somewhere for her to rest up, particularly on holiday or if we're going to get lots of shopping. For the sake of your back (to limit carrying) you should probably have a buggy, preferably a light one.

I wouldn't pay the price of the baby jogger though, partly because I have backed over a buggy in the car and destroyed it, 1 broke a few days out of guarantee, one was stolen at Disneyland, so I've had 6 for various different reasons and it's a pricey businessgrin.

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 10:48:01

PSML at Carnival well atleast I can sell my old ones I guess!

Yeah I am stuck if anyone hjas any suggestions Id be grateful want somehing lightish, small folding(ish), not umbrella preferably and must have a large seat as DS is huge

Also needs to have relatively good sized wheels, suspention nothing fancy though.

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 10:54:56

Oh manage to read thread again! Everything seems to be about Maclaren or is it just me?

chloemegjess Wed 16-Jul-08 11:16:38

I have a Mclauren and love it. It is small, lightweight, easy to fold, easy to push with one hand, comfy for my DD, reclines/sits up, came with hood, raincover, storage on bottom and a pocket on back of hood.

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 11:19:14

Are the Maclaren seats big enough for a large 2 year old chloe?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 16-Jul-08 11:23:15

Message withdrawn

MummyDoIt Wed 16-Jul-08 11:26:49

We had a M&P travel system when DS1 was born. Used it a lot as I didn't drive then so used it as a pram when he was tiny, then converted to pushchair when he was bigger. He also slept in the carry cot to start with. When DS2 came along, we had to get a double buggy which I hated. We also got a Mclaren XT buggy so I used that as much as possible, with DS2 in a sling until he got bigger. As soon as DS1 was able to stand on a buggy board, I used that and ditched the double buggy. The Mclaren was used until DS2 was three.

mummy2aaron Wed 16-Jul-08 11:36:43

maybe try a luna they have big seats and can be bought cheaply on ebay. they are a doddle to push. the first version was crap though make sure it;s a newer version.

beansmum Wed 16-Jul-08 11:42:22

Why would you need more than one pushchair? I really don't understand.

I still used one for ds when he was 2, not all the time but if we were going a long way. He could walk 2 miles at that age, but if he decided he wasn't going to go any further I would have ended up carrying him which isn't fun, and is no good for your back.

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 11:43:31

Have heard the luna is rubbish due to the seat not being upright enough.

Notanexcitingname Wed 16-Jul-08 11:46:56

I read recently that the average 2 year old can walk 2 miles a day.

But, personally (aside from some 2 years not being able to manage that) I'd not like to bank on it being
a) the same two miles as I had in mind or
b) at a pace likely to get me there in time

but have had
a Chicco trio travel system
a cheapo umbrella fold buggy
and a weird pushchair/rucsac convertible thing

and I don't use any of them grin slings all the way for me!

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 11:47:22

beansmum- I need a new pushchair as I want to get rid of the one I have.

1st - Hes grown out of
2nd - Jane energy-shite
3rd - A bit big and bulky

youngbutnotdumb Wed 16-Jul-08 11:48:24

Have a bad back so no slings for me am afraid! Did think about it though.

OverMyDeadBody Wed 16-Jul-08 11:49:51

I pram, a Maclaren, and a sling.

DS stopped using it at 2.5yrs. In fact, we but it in the attick then.

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 11:54:22

Mamas & Papas P3 travel system. I hardly ever used it as DD was carried in sling/front carrier most of the time.

It was useful for when I needed to nip out of the car for an hour and she was asleep, just put the car seat onto it and off we went.

However, I have seen frames you can buy for that purpose without the need for the entire pushchair section too.

DH used it more than me, but again mainly used the carseat part of it.

We ditched it as soon as she was too big for the carseat at 18months as we got a stroller, but would not have missed it if we never had it in the first place

Even the stroller is hardly used as she walks/gets carried.

I could quite happily have done without either.

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 11:56:38

Mothercare stroller btw - looks pretty much the same as the maclaren, but half the price and considering its rarely used, did not see the point on spending £100+ on one.

reikizen Wed 16-Jul-08 12:01:39

Ha Ha, my dp thinks I have an unhealthy obsession with prams and buggies. We have had 8 prams/buggies since dd1 was born (now 4) but that does include a double buggy and 2 at my mum's house!. The problem is I can't resist when people offer us a free one, we've only bought one of those 8 as I am amazed at how much the damn things cost, so you see my problem. DD1 is 4 and still goes in a buggy if she can and I'm happy to put her in it for a quiet life. Both mine are big snoozers when in a pram (bliss) and I'm a bit old fashioned in that I like them to be comfortable and snug so have never really liked the carseat prams or skimpy buggy things. Slings are brill but no good when loaded down with shopping and a toddler in the rain!

MuffinMclay Wed 16-Jul-08 12:06:21

3 here

1. Jane (Rebel?) for ds1. Needed 3 wheeler for dog walking. Regret that one, really.
2. Quinny Zapp bought for very occasional use to fit in tiny boot of dh's car.
3. Phil & Ted when ds2 came along (ds1 then only 21 months)

Ds1 (2.2) will walk long distances, but there are occasions where I need to put him back in the pushchair - in shops where I can't trust him not to pull everything off the shelves, when we walk the dog alongside a busy road (don't have anough hands to hold onto him), etc.

I think a 2yo can walk 2 miles, but can't be relied on to do so on all occasions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now