Talk

Advanced search

What are the laws/rules/opinions of car seats?

(5 Posts)
chloemegjess Tue 15-Jul-08 21:10:36

Hi. I need to work out how many children I can have in my car (for childminding). I have a VW Golf. So have 5 seats. Can I have a carseat in the middle back seat though? Or do I have to disgrgard this seat?

I only have a dd of 6 months, so only know the rules for the baby seats! Thank you!

differentID Tue 15-Jul-08 23:27:49

Does the middle seat have a 3-point belt or merely a lap belt

chloemegjess Wed 16-Jul-08 11:11:50

just a lap belt

LIZS Wed 16-Jul-08 11:19:00

Some stage 1 seats can use lapbelts only - Britx Freeway/FisherPrice for example - but it may affect what seats you can fit either side. Lapbelt only not safe with a booster or infant carrier and less than ideal safetywise as a seat belt for a taller child no longer in a booster (135cm plus)

Janus Wed 16-Jul-08 11:49:24

chloe, very much depends how big that seat is, most are not big enough to fit a carseat in. If you go to Mothercare they recommended 2 seats (which are probably the ones LIZ mentions) which fit a lapbelt. They would also test your car to check that it fits and would probably take out 3 carseats to see if they all fit along the seat if you asked them to. I have really found Mothercare very helpful in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now