Talk

Advanced search

am worried my emotional outbursts are damaging ds.

(22 Posts)
smallwhitecat Fri 11-Jul-08 11:50:50

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Fri 11-Jul-08 11:53:16

can you learn how to drive?

EustaciaVye Fri 11-Jul-08 11:54:54

You need a break. Is there anyone who can give you a couple of hours off once a week?

MsDemeanor Fri 11-Jul-08 11:56:20

And I think you need a chat with your HV too. PND is a possibility, esp with two very young babies. Do you have any money to afford a little help? Even a teenager in the summer holidays who would like some pocket money by helping you out with your toddler (and also providing some company).

gingerninja Fri 11-Jul-08 11:57:20

what about a bike and trailer for some freedom?

also what about putting on waterproofs for the express reason for a walk to splash in puddles.

Things seem so much better when you're outside. Being trapped in is crap.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 11-Jul-08 11:58:43

swc - I had a screamer too and it can be utterly utterly soul destroying. Are there places to go within walking distance like playgroups? I know people can be a bit sniffy about them but God, they completely saved my sanity when ds was a baby.

Longer term, is there a reason why you can't drive? Because in a rural area you really need a car I think. Sorry environment and all that blush

gingerninja Fri 11-Jul-08 11:58:47

just read that your DD is 5 months sorry, I'd read it as 5 years! the trailer might be a good idea still.

Also, look into different slings, they make all the difference. I can still carry DD who's almost 2 in my ergo.

foxinsocks Fri 11-Jul-08 11:59:52

I had a screamer too. in fact both of mine were grr.

I think you need to go out in the rain! Even if you don't want to.

you have the same age gap as my two and it is bloody bloody hard for those first few years.

Morloth Fri 11-Jul-08 12:00:55

Go out in the rain. Do the welly/buggy cover/raincoat thing, but go out anyway.

Let DS get good and muddy and jump in puddles and enjoy the feel of it on your face, then you can come home and get all warm and dry.

The rain won't hurt you, but staying cooped up probably will.

smallwhitecat Fri 11-Jul-08 12:01:22

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Fri 11-Jul-08 12:04:40

Message withdrawn

mumblechum Fri 11-Jul-08 12:08:45

Don't go on the road, go on public footpaths in the fields/woods! Much more fun too. See if you can spot some rabbits/squirrels etc

smallwhitecat Fri 11-Jul-08 12:14:06

Message withdrawn

mumblechum Fri 11-Jul-08 12:15:40

Sounds like a good idea. Anyone would get cabin fever in your position.

Go and have a nice lunch in a cafe & enjoy yourself.

mrsgboring Fri 11-Jul-08 12:22:13

Do you have a medical condition which makes carrying your 5mo harder? If not, then the collective wisdom of Mumsnet can definitely find you one that will last you a lot longer. I promise.

Tell me about your current sling and needs and I will try to help...

puppydavies Fri 11-Jul-08 12:25:38

you need a decent carrier! if you can't afford an ergo (and in your position i'd say it will be worth its weight in gold) you can hire somethingg similar here - patapum - so try before you buy. by 9 months dd can go on your back and you'll barely know she's there.

also can you leave pils to babysit while you go out? they'd prolly love to and you could get some fresh air/shop in peace/whatever.

gingerninja Fri 11-Jul-08 12:55:17

Where do you live SWC? perhaps there is another MN'er close by.

PS, not sure if anyone has said it but in answer to your title. I doubt its having a damaging effect on your children.

A full range of emotions are a normal part of life.

smallwhitecat Fri 11-Jul-08 12:57:32

Message withdrawn

gingerninja Fri 11-Jul-08 13:02:02

It sounds like you just need to be somewhere there is a bit of life. I imagine, idilyic as it seems, having two young children in a very rural area is very isolating. Is there a local thread for people in WY? At least if you had some days out planned with other people it might help. Or have a coffee morning at your house?

Morloth Fri 11-Jul-08 13:10:31

Do you have a garden? You could even just put DD in her buggy at the door (out of the rain) and then go and frolic with your DS there?

latebloomer Fri 11-Jul-08 13:17:36

I read your message with sympathy as I am in your position ( 19 and 5 months ) living in a very rural area. Ok I can drive but this weather is really miserable and has had me in despair. I understand the feeling of being about to explode. THis week has been much better
I have been looking after my friends two kids 7 and five for a couple of days while she is at work - casual arrangement BUT importantly the kids are great with my wee boy and keep him amused. May seem like a glutton for punishment with two more in the house but it has been a god send. Dont feel so sad - go out side have a good sream you are normal !!!!!

scouserabroad Fri 11-Jul-08 15:56:20

I was in your position a few months ago, rain, two small DDs, fairly rural location (plus grumpy unemployed DH for good measure lol) I agree with everyone who says go out, even if it's raining, and I know it won't seem like that now, but this time will pass and things will get easier. My DDs are 2.1 and nearly 10 months now, starting to play together, DD2 has become so much easier since she can sit up. That's actually what made all the difference, DD2 can sit up and can play on her own for at least ten minutes!

Sorry rambling now but good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now