Talk

Advanced search

Saturday Football for 5 year old.

(12 Posts)
amethyst8 Fri 11-Jul-08 11:21:51

Am going to start taking DS to a Saturday Football Club. Do I need to get him football boots please? DH thinks we do but I thought that kids that young would probably play in trainers or football trainers. Thanks.

porkypoo Fri 11-Jul-08 12:46:32

If he is playing on a grass pitch then its best to get him some eventually. But if you're not sure if he'll stick at it give him a couple of weeks before you buy him any... Good luck. My DS started playing at 5 and is now captain of the under 12'S...grin

seeker Fri 11-Jul-08 12:49:09

Different clubs have different rules - I'd ring and ask. He'll definitely need shin pads, though - make sure you get the right size or they are really uncomfortable.

choccypig Fri 11-Jul-08 12:51:22

I'd go in trainers the first time, and check with the coach what he needs. Compare with what everyone else has as well. Personally I think shin guards are more important than studs at the early stages. It's a lovely moment when they get their first real football boots. They walk so tall and proud.

The joy wears off when they grow out of them so quick, and cost a fortune.

Mutt Fri 11-Jul-08 12:51:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 12:53:59

Hi ds has done indoor football since 4 and he has just had indoor trainers he will now start on turf next week so will need football boots.
Ask the club but he will need shin pads for both.
Wouldn't bother with football boots unless he on the grass.

lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 12:54:15

Oh and he is now 6

Mutt Fri 11-Jul-08 12:55:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seeker Fri 11-Jul-08 13:57:47

I remember my ds saying "Oh, I LOVE making the clippy-cloppy noise!"

seeker Fri 11-Jul-08 13:58:15

Interesting - at our club it's no shin pads, no play!

lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 14:05:43

Seeker never thought of that now that may stop ds wanting to squeeze his feet into ds tap shoes to 'make that noise' on my wooden floor grin

amethyst8 Fri 11-Jul-08 15:44:03

Because no one answered this one and we needed to get out and get the trainers Mutt. Chat is a bit faster moving so I hoped to get something there.

Thanks for your responses. Got him football trainers in the end but will now have to go out for shin pads it seems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now