Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

First birthday party - who do you invite and what do you do?

(13 Posts)
lunavix Thu 03-Feb-05 14:45:01

Being a first time parent, I don't have a clue

I'm assuming that he won't have reached any more developmental milestones (he could have got the hang of crawling or cruising by then though) and soft play is an obvious answer, but any ideas?

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 03-Feb-05 14:50:55

I read on another thread that one mum is inviting family to celebrate her achievement over the past year. I thought that was a good idea as babies don't know that they are supposed to be excited about their birthdays. Told my sister who laughed and said we should celebrate the DTs surviving with me as their mother.

I'm just having family over. Good excuse for cake and champers!

nailpolish Thu 03-Feb-05 14:53:42

i dont think 1 yr olds are ready for soft play. my opinion though!

my dd's 1 st birthday comprised of a few close family and friends and their children in the house eating cake and playing, chatting and opening mountains of presents. that evening, my mum babysat while dh took me out for a meal, after all, 1 yr ago i had been in complete agony and exhaustion!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 03-Feb-05 14:55:03

must tell my DH that! What a good idea. Now where would I like to eat.....?

RTKangaMummy Thu 03-Feb-05 14:55:13

family over for tea

Donbean Thu 03-Feb-05 14:58:42

We had a BBQ and invited family and close friends. (ds birthday is in the summer).
Bought loads of food, loads of beer had a table of party food for the children, most of which range from ages 1-3 years.
The beer was all still there unused, i ran out of T bags as all the parents were driving and too tired to drink!
We had all in all 53 adults and 30 children bobbing in through the day. We just had an open house really. It was superb. Ds was walking by then so he had a hundred eyes on him at any one time to keep him safe.
He didnt understand what the fuss was- understandably- but we wanted to make it very special and celebrate him as we struggled for a long time to get him. I suppose that you could argue that we did it for us, i make no appology for that.
It was fab and realy enjoyed by all.

Beansmum Thu 03-Feb-05 14:59:58

I want to have a big party for my friends with silly kids games, lots of cookies and cakes and champagne. ds won't really appreciate it but at least I'll have a good time. I was going to make it quite formal dress, suits and posh dresses. It's not until June so hopefully the weather will be nice and we can have it outside, or in my garage if it rains.

Donbean Thu 03-Feb-05 15:02:39

Following on from my long droning message, i want to add that you should be proud to be celebrating a whole year gone by.
Enjoy it and have champers and tons of goodies, its a very exciting day.

zubb Thu 03-Feb-05 15:02:48

At 1 they don't know it's their birthday so you are doing it for yourself really - so do something that you want to do.
We just took ds1 to an aquarium and out for lunch for his first birthday, then had cake at home. Did similar thing for ds2.

scotlou Thu 03-Feb-05 15:39:03

For ds we had family round and a cake - and let him try previously untried foods like icecream and jelly. He had a great time crushing the birthday cake into the carpet and eating the ice cream with his hands! I'm afraid that with dd (2nd child!)we didn't have a party at all! We were on holiday at the time though. We did have a cake - but taht was about it! Poor thing's not even had her naming ceremony yet either and she'll be 3 this year!

bundle Thu 03-Feb-05 15:40:20

dd1's first birthday party (june) was in our garden, lots of nibbles and wine, got the paddling pool out and do specify a time you want people to go (eg 3-5) so you can flob out after all the emotional effort...

SamN Thu 03-Feb-05 15:41:38

we went to the zoo with family. I like the idea of the celebration being for the mum though. will try suggesting that this July for ds2's birthday

Hulababy Thu 03-Feb-05 20:22:27

We had a mainly adult, family gathering for DD's 1st birthday. We invited both grandparents, aunts and uncles, and both sets of godparents (and one have a DS 7 months older than DD - her friend too). WE then just has a little tea/drinks party - for the adults, but with DD centre of attention and having a great time enjoying it all. Had a cake and blew out candles, then open presents. Nice and relaxed, nothing too big.

The day after me, DH and DD went out for the day. We took DD to the zoo for the day and had a lovely time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now