Talk

Advanced search

Do I NEED to have a 'first visit' from HV after having new baby?

(24 Posts)
asur Thu 10-Jul-08 16:55:42

I know nothing is compulsary but is there any paperwork or anything that needs to be done or is it just a general check up thing?

HV phoned and said she is coming tomorrow afternoon but I don't like her and don't have any reason to see her. This is my 3rd child so is it really necessary? I can't remember if there was any paperwork done previously that needs to be done, if there isn't, then I'll phone her and tell her not to bother coming.

(I know that she would give me one of those stupid red books but I don't really want one so not bothered if I miss that.)

cmotdibbler Thu 10-Jul-08 16:57:53

They don't do anything useful imo. If you don't want to see her, and are happy with your baby, then don't bother.

waffletrees Thu 10-Jul-08 17:00:51

My HV had the paper work to sign DS2 up with the doctor. Saved me the bother. Generally not a massive fan of HVs but one visit should be OK.

tiredemma Thu 10-Jul-08 17:02:52

im not a massive 'fan' of HV's but I must say that the team I worked with on placement worked incredibly hard, and were useful to their clients.

Not all HV's are spawn of the devil

asur Thu 10-Jul-08 17:03:16

I've actually got the form for registering with the doctor - just need to hand it in to the health centre.

If that's all she's gonna do, think I'll just cancel her. Thanks

2point4kids Thu 10-Jul-08 17:03:43

Dont they do the heel prick test?

tiredemma Thu 10-Jul-08 17:04:22

I think the midwives do the heel prick

asur Thu 10-Jul-08 17:08:02

yeah, midwife does heel prick here. DS3 didn't get it so I had to sign a form last week to confirm I'd been offered it.

geogteach Thu 10-Jul-08 17:12:15

what about newborn hearing test, health visitor should do that but don't know if it is the first visit.

LynetteScavo Thu 10-Jul-08 17:13:19

I'd have the one visit - and then you'll never need to see her again. They probably need to tick off that they've seen you, and it will stop them ever pestering you again.

The red books are usefull if your child will ever have a hearing test or vaccination.

minster Thu 10-Jul-08 17:15:00

HV does the Guthrie & newborn hearing check here.

asur Thu 10-Jul-08 17:37:48

hearing test was offered in hospital. really can't think of anything HV has to do.

the only page I've used in the red book is for immunisations but TBH, it could have been written on a normal piece of paper and that would be easier to file!

Am just about to phone and leave a message for her to tell her not to bother.

gagarin Thu 10-Jul-08 17:47:30

Just explain you know she has to offer you the service (she does); thank her very much and tell her that all is well; say you will get your postnatal check done with GP and imms with the nurse. And that you will contact her if you have any problems.

Should do the trick. I would hope she'd be pleased not to have to come!

asur Thu 10-Jul-08 18:04:53

I just spoke to her, she wasn't too pleased! She kept going on about how unusual it is and she doesn't know what to do and the first visit is important to get baby on central system so that immunisation appointments can be sent out... I said I'd make appointments at the appropriate times but apparently she wasn't happy with that (even though I managed fine doing that with DS1!)

She is apparently going to speak to a GP and check if I'm allowed to make my own decisions and get back to me... She is just so lovely! LOL

benandgerry Thu 10-Jul-08 18:36:03

Speaking as a HV, please don't be intimidated into having an unwanted visit, it would be a waste of everyone's time.
Paperwork varies from area to area, but nothing is compulsory. Most PCTs have a Central computer system for reminding parents when immunisations are due and the HV has to send a form off saying parents agree to being on the system. No need for you to have a home visit for this you can just tell the HV what you want her to do with the form wink. I'd be quite happy if I phoned and a parent said they were doing fine and didn't need a visit, it hasn't happened yet but spread the word, maybe you'll start a trend..

nappyaddict Thu 10-Jul-08 18:38:40

sorry to hijack but benandgerry - i was wondering when hvs ask you if your lo can sit up yet, how long do they mean for? do they mean 5 mins, 30 mins or without falling over at all?

RubyRioja Thu 10-Jul-08 18:39:54

Isn't heel prick test really important?

nappyaddict Thu 10-Jul-08 18:41:31

mw does that here.

RubyRioja Thu 10-Jul-08 18:41:38

Have just looked it up - one of the babies at nursery 'failed' this and apparantly diet changes saved from massive development probs.

Is there a downside to this test?

RubyRioja Thu 10-Jul-08 18:42:27

asur said she signed that she was offered but did not take it up. Will doc do it if required or is everyone's ass covered grin

asur Thu 10-Jul-08 21:08:26

rubyrioja - the heel prick test tests for 3 disorders which are quite rare. The conditions can be picked up from symptoms but the idea of the test is to pick it up earlier. I don't feel that it's worth the test - just my personal opinion though. I don't believe in any unnecessary tests.

benandgerry - thank you for your comments. Wish you were my HV

threestars Thu 10-Jul-08 22:40:24

Think they want to get a measure, also, if postnatal depression is likely. There's a multiple choice test they do.

nappyaddict Fri 11-Jul-08 01:26:39

oh ... the nurse does that at the 6 week check here.

ForPetesSakeNotAgain Fri 11-Jul-08 02:58:43

Heel prick picks sickle cell etc I think - I can't see a downside to having it done myself (though most newborn babies don't see it that way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now