Talk

Advanced search

No Omega 3 - never did me any harm???

(10 Posts)
Poppychick Mon 07-Jul-08 20:36:19

I've just seen some Omega 3 pastilles and am wondering if it's worth getting these for my DD (3.5yrs). We do try to get oily fish etc. into her when possible but with limited success.

Just after people's opinions / thoughts on this ...

What about bread, marg, fish fingers etc. with Omega 3 added?

I never had ANY at all and certainly am not thick!!!

sarah293 Mon 07-Jul-08 20:43:03

Message withdrawn

streakybacon Tue 08-Jul-08 06:56:44

Be careful what you buy. Check other ingredients - just because a product contains Omega 3 doesn't mean it hasn't got any other nasties in it. Example of this is children's vitamin syrups containing O3 - they usually contain sodium benzoate which you really ought to avoid.

Eskimo Kids is a good brand, have been using it for years.

Poppychick Tue 08-Jul-08 19:44:27

Thanks will look out for that one!

AMumInScotland Tue 08-Jul-08 20:47:06

I'm in the "I never had them and turned out ok" camp on Omega 3 I'm afraid. And I've never eaten a portion of oily fish in my life... unless one mouthful, swallowed with a grimace, counts as a portion grin

BlueberryPancake Tue 08-Jul-08 21:01:17

We always used to have cod liver oil when we were children (YUUURRRKKKKK!) mixed with a bit of orange juice. Hated it. I don't know if it helped but the web is loaded with 'proof' of the benefits of Omega 3. My kids are still young and I try to include fish in their diet, and other oils such as hemp seeds oil which is lovely. o3 also improves concentration apparently, and does wonders for hyperactive children (if you believe what you read in the news). I haven't looked in supplements as such but I think I will.

AMumInScotland Tue 08-Jul-08 21:07:32

There was recently a supposed trial of Omega 3 in schools in Durham but it was garbage because there was no proper control group. And then the children apparently got worse results this year than last, and suddenly they went all quiet about the supposed benefits this was going to prove...

BlueberryPancake Wed 09-Jul-08 08:03:24

You will find lots of studies that suggest the opposite, muminscotland. But I'm sure that if you think it's rubbish to start with, you will not believe the studies that prove that it's actually doing some good.

mum2ds1 Wed 16-Jul-08 14:27:44

hi my ds has been o omega 3 for at least 2 years i tried halborange , asdas own , boots ones that tasted of orange etc.. he seemed the same , we read into omega 3 and 6 and researched loads it was only when i read the actual ingredients and actual amount of omega 3 in them that it dawned on me
there was food colourings in some of them aspartame in another it went on and actually wasnt a high enough dose!!!!!
we were having problems with my sons behaviour and was concerened about his schoolong and concentration.we even went to the docs to see if he was adhd.
i swithched him onto eye q which has 3&6 about 5 months ago and i have kept him on the higher dose( well ive just dropped him from 6 chews to 4 a day) we have seen an improvement and so has his teachers and even my doctor comented i told my gp what i had done and if he thought that was the reason he replied well it certainly hasnt harmed him and its no bad thing to use omega 3 & 6. he has just had a really good school report and im so proud as it was not what we were expecting. the eye q one is more expensive but boots nearly always have a offer on and also there is another site for mums which usually has offers on to (its the opposite wording to this one if you know what i mean)

mum2ds1 Wed 16-Jul-08 14:29:25

oops sorry about the awfull spelling in my last post blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now