Talk

Advanced search

Help my 1 year old is still waking in the night every 2 hours!

(10 Posts)
AllyJU Mon 07-Jul-08 15:01:31

At 6 weeks old, we thought we had the dream baby, as she slept through the night, however, when she reached 5 months, it all changed and she started waking in the night. I am still breastfeeding her (which I would also like to stop now), and she uses it as comfort, and won't settle until she has had a suck for a while. Some nights are better than others, and she will only wake a couple of times, but I'm going back to work at the end of the month and need to be able to get a good nights sleep.
Can anyone offer any advice? Anyone had a similar experience?

Paris88 Mon 07-Jul-08 15:07:32

My 1st son was like that till about 18mths (now 28 mths) he was a 2hr baby from the start. I would start weaning her onto a bottle at night just before she goes to sleep, a happy full tummy helps alittle. What are your sleeping arrangments? Is she in her own room? Are you co-sleeping?

AllyJU Mon 07-Jul-08 15:13:04

She has never really taken to a bottle, but she does take a bit from a cup.

She is in her own room, but I've been tending to bring her into bed with me when she wakes around 5, just to get some sleep!

lilyloo Mon 07-Jul-08 20:34:55

Ally por you my dd is 6 mth and i feel like we are going backwards to every two hours now !
I don't want to be doing this at 1 shock
So bumping for some advice too before giving up the bf and going down the formula route!

googgly Mon 07-Jul-08 20:48:03

I got too tired to deal with this with ds3, so eventually decided NOT TO GET UP. A few nights of screaming, then he just stopped waking. Has slept 7.30pm to 7am ever since (he's 2 1/2 now). It's obviously not much fun for those few nights, but for us it was better for everyone, including the dc, in the end.

madmarriedNika Tue 08-Jul-08 11:13:11

Get this book- Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution (can buy it via Amazon uk) and google it too as you can read sections of it on Elizabeth Pantley's website.

I have used it for both my DCs (you'd think I'd have learnt from my mistakes with DC#1 when DC#2 stopped sleeping well...but no...needing the book again!) and it works really well, and you don't have to resort to controlled crying (which works well for some but not at all for others, and I just can't handle it well!). I BFed both of my DCs until 11 months and 12 months so you shouldn't have to stop. It's all about teaching the to settle to sleep, in their cot, from being awake rather than using the boob as a comforter to fall asleep on. Once they learn this when the wake naturally in light sleep during the night they can settle themselves without needing your boobs...

Good luck xxx

lilyloo Tue 08-Jul-08 12:55:36

madm i have got that and started reading it last night.
I liked her finger under chin method so am doing sleep log today and hoping to use it !

AllyJU Wed 09-Jul-08 15:37:14

I have actually already got the Elizabeth Pantley book, and have been trying the finger under chin method for a while with some success

I'm afraid when the going gets tough, and all I want to do is sleep, I just put her on my boob - guess I just have to bite the bullet...

lilyloo Fri 11-Jul-08 11:58:50

Ally just to let you know i have not given in to dd since Mon.
We are now doing feed at 11/3/6 and she is in bed 7-7.
I am positive that having that first awful night when we stopped feeding back to sleep has been worth it.
She is much happier as am i last night when she was stirring from her sleep she made a few noises but got herself back to sleep.
I think you have to overcome the tiredness and think a couple of bad nights should help long term. Esp if your going back to work, good luck.

Romy7 Fri 11-Jul-08 12:02:22

looks like you got their on your own - but that's how we did it too. ds1 woke every 2 hours to be fed and screamed the house down. he slept like a dream as soon as he realised i'd turned the milk tap off during the silent hours. good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now