Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Blue Eyes - Green/Brown Parents

(89 Posts)
mmmmchocolate Tue 01-Feb-05 22:18:12

Hi, can anyone help me. My 5 month old DD has really lovely blue eyes, myself i have brown eyes and DF has green eyes.

I am forever getting people coming up to me and saying 'where ever does she get those blue eyes from'. Has anyone else had this or can advise me if they will change or if they should change!!??!?!

Thank you

Branster Tue 01-Feb-05 22:20:42

i thought all babies ahve blue eyes. they change colour eventually. she might end up with green rather than blue eyes.

pinkdiamond Tue 01-Feb-05 22:21:08

Message withdrawn

Snugs Tue 01-Feb-05 22:22:14

I have brown eyes, DH green, DS1 brown, DS2 blue. DS2 now 3.5 yrs.

lou33 Tue 01-Feb-05 22:22:55

i have brown eyes, dh has blue. All the kids have blue eyes, i guess because mine are not true brown as my mum had green eyes and my dad had brown, so the brown gene wasn't dominant

lou33 Tue 01-Feb-05 22:23:29

forgot to add it can take up to a year fro eyes to change colour, from birth

JanH Tue 01-Feb-05 22:24:04

brown-eyed parents can have blue eyed children!!!! It is OK!

Vice versa is neither possible nor OK though so watch it

trefusis Tue 01-Feb-05 22:24:08

Message withdrawn

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 01-Feb-05 22:24:52

dh's are blue.

Mine are hazel.

ds1's are blue.

ds2's were blue until 10 months and now they are green - so beautiful with his blond bubbly curls .

mmmmchocolate Tue 01-Feb-05 22:25:20

Made me feel bit better and showed DF just to shut him up for a bit... The ' are you sure she is mine' question is wearing rather thin now!!!!

AtHomeMum Tue 01-Feb-05 22:26:40

I think it works like this:
Blue eyes are the recessive gene. So if you have 1 brown & 1 blue gene in a person, they will have brown eyes, but carry blue recessively.
If 2 brown eyed people have a child, and both have the blue gene there is a 1 in 4 chance the child will get 2 blue genes and have blue eyes. If 2 blue eyed people have a child it will have blue eyes. I think green is a shade of brown in this sense.
Hope this helps - i don't think i have explained it very well!!

JanH Tue 01-Feb-05 22:26:44

The reason being that a brown-eyed parent can carry a blue-eyed gene, and if both parents do, and both pass on the blue-eyed gene, they can have a blue-eyed child.

However a blue-eyed parent cannot carry a brown-eyed gene - if you have one, your eyes are brown, because brown is dominant. If 2 blue-eyed parents have a brown-eyed child, somebody is playing away...

Angeliz Tue 01-Feb-05 22:27:59

My parents and ALL granparents have/had green eyes and me and 2 sisters all have brown........very strange!!

sweetkitty Tue 01-Feb-05 22:28:52

your right trefusis 2 brown eyed parents can have a blue eyed baby

blue eyes recessive to brown so if you get a blue eyed and a brown eyed gene from each parent you will have brown eyes so if 2 such people get together they can have

brown brown therefore brown eyed child
brown blue therefore brown eyed child
blue blue so theres a 1 in 4 chance

sorry i'm a science nerd

lou33 Tue 01-Feb-05 22:30:41

mine are brown and dh's are blue though and all my kids are blue eyed. Is that cos , as i said my mum had green eyes and my father was brown?

mmmmchocolate Tue 01-Feb-05 22:33:13

Thank you, Was even starting to doubt myself, even though i know i never played away. Will show inlaws this to silence them for a bit too.

trefusis Tue 01-Feb-05 22:34:32

Message withdrawn

JanH Tue 01-Feb-05 22:34:42

Green is weird though, lou. Our kids all started out blue (DH and me both blue-ish) but have all gradually gone green/grey/ish - still basically blue though, IYSWIM. So they will have blue genes in there somewhere and so will your mum have done.

janeybops Tue 01-Feb-05 22:36:29

mine are green and dh has greeny hazel eyes.

dd had blue eyes at first, now turned bluey green at age 4

ds has currently got blue eyes at 15 months

JanH Tue 01-Feb-05 22:37:29

One of my grandmas had dark brown eyes, but out of her 4 children only one was brown, and of that one's 2 children only 1 was brown - there were 11 grandchildren altogether, eye colours ranged from true blue through greeny-grey and hazel to brown, but only that 1 was really brown. So although brown is dominant it doesn't necessarily come through.

HunkerMunker Tue 01-Feb-05 22:38:27

DS had blue eyes till he was about four or five months old (had forgotten quite how gorgeous a shade they were till I saw some pics the other day - not that they're not gorgeous now!) - he now has green/brown/grey eyes with a tint of blue. Methinks they're still changing I have green eyes and DH has dark brown eyes so will be interesting to see what colour they end up!

jabberwocky Tue 01-Feb-05 22:41:40

My brother has green/brown eyes and his first wife has very dark brown eyes. THeir ds2 has beautiful ice blue eyes just like his maternal grandmother! They may still change though. I think it's possible up to 6 months?

HunkerMunker Tue 01-Feb-05 22:42:47

DS's are still changing and he's 9 months!

tamum Tue 01-Feb-05 22:45:47

I hate to say it, but although the basic genetics is fine here, the idea that eye colour is determined by a single gene and that brown eyes are dominant over blue is completely wrong. It's a myth that has been perpetuated in loads of basic biology text books and can cause all sorts of problems as we see here Eye colour has been shown to be polygenic, so it is controlled by multiple genes. This makes it impossible to predict eye colour in offspring with complete certainty. It vaguely follows the "textbook" pattern in lots of families but by no means all.

Here endeth the lesson

JanH Tue 01-Feb-05 22:46:46

tamum, can 2 blue-eyed parents have a brown-eyed child????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now